Applying the method of simulated moments to estimate a small agent-based asset pricing model
The paper takes a recent agent-based asset pricing model by Manzan and Westerhoff from the literature and applies the method of simulated moments to estimate its six parameters. In selecting the moments, the focus is on the fat tails and autocorrelation patterns of the daily returns of several stock market indices and foreign exchange rates. It is argued that it may be meaningful to abandon the econometrically optimal weighting matrix in the objective function and instead invoke the moments' t-statistics in an intuitively appealing way. This modification gives rise to estimations whose moment matching, given the model's parsimony, can be largely considered to be satisfactory. Also the parameter estimates across different markets make good economic sense.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Manzan, Sebastiano & Westerhoff, Frank H., 2007.
"Heterogeneous expectations, exchange rate dynamics and predictability,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 64(1), pages 111-128, September.
- Manzan, S. & Westerhoff, F., 2002. "Heterogeneous Expectations, Exchange Rate Dynamics and Predictability," CeNDEF Working Papers 02-14, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Peter Winker & Manfred Gilli & Vahidin Jeleskovic, 2007.
"An objective function for simulation based inference on exchange rate data,"
Journal of Economic Interaction and Coordination,
Springer, vol. 2(2), pages 125-145, December.
- Peter Winker & Manfred Gilli & Vahidin Jeleskovic, 2007. "An Objective Function for Simulation Based Inference on Exchange Rate Data," Swiss Finance Institute Research Paper Series 07-01, Swiss Finance Institute.
- Manfred Gilli & Peter Winker & Vahidin Jeleskovic, 2006. "An Objective Function for Simulation Based Inference on Exchange Rate Data," Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 147, Society for Computational Economics.
- Boivin, Jean & Giannoni, Marc, 2006.
"Has Monetary Policy Become More Effective?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5463, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lee, Bong-Soo & Ingram, Beth Fisher, 1991. "Simulation estimation of time-series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2-3), pages 197-205, February.
- Ching-Sheng Mao, 1990. "Hypothesis testing and finite sample properties of generalized method of moments estimators: a Monte Carlo study," Working Paper 90-12, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Manzan, S. & Westerhoff, F., 2002.
"Representativeness of News and Exchange Rate Dynamics,"
CeNDEF Working Papers
02-13, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Manzan, Sebastiano & Westerhoff, Frank, 2005. "Representativeness of news and exchange rate dynamics," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 29(4), pages 677-689, April.
- Hommes, C.H. & Wagener, F.O.O., 2008. "Complex evolutionary systems in behavioral finance," CeNDEF Working Papers 08-05, Universiteit van Amsterdam, Center for Nonlinear Dynamics in Economics and Finance.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1993.
"Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 929-52, July.
- Darrell Duffie & Kenneth J. Singleton, 1990. "Simulated Moments Estimation of Markov Models of Asset Prices," NBER Technical Working Papers 0087, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carrasco, Marine & Florens, Jean-Pierre, 2002. "Simulation-Based Method of Moments and Efficiency," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 20(4), pages 482-92, October.
- G. Fagiolo & C. Birchenhall & P. Windrum, 2007. "Empirical Validation in Agent-based Models: Introduction to the Special Issue," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 30(3), pages 189-194, October.
- Carl Chiarella & Roberto Dieci & Xue-Zhong He, 2008. "Heterogeneity, Market Mechanisms, and Asset Price Dynamics," Research Paper Series 231, Quantitative Finance Research Centre, University of Technology, Sydney.
- Reiner Franke & Simone Alfarano, 2007. "A Simple Asymmetric Herding Model to Distinguish Between Stock and Foreign Exchange Markets," Working Papers wp07-01, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Kocherlakota, Narayana R., 1990. "On tests of representative consumer asset pricing models," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 285-304, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:empfin:v:16:y:2009:i:5:p:804-815. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.