Generalization of the weighted voting method using penalty functions constructed via faithful restricted dissimilarity functions
In this paper we present a generalization of the weighted voting method used in the exploitation phase of decision making problems represented by preference relations. For each row of the preference relation we take the aggregation function (from a given set) that provides the value which is the least dissimilar with all the elements in that row. Such a value is obtained by means of the selected penalty function. The relation between the concepts of penalty function and dissimilarity has prompted us to study a construction method for penalty functions from the well-known restricted dissimilarity functions. The development of this method has led us to consider under which conditions restricted dissimilarity functions are faithful. We present a characterization theorem of such functions using automorphisms. Finally, we also consider under which conditions we can build penalty functions from Kolmogoroff and Nagumo aggregation functions. In this setting, we propose a new generalization of the weighted voting method in terms of one single variable functions. We conclude with a real, illustrative medical case, conclusions and future research lines.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dubois, Didier & Prade, Henri & Sabbadin, Regis, 2001. "Decision-theoretic foundations of qualitative possibility theory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 128(3), pages 459-478, February.
- Mesiar, R., 2007. "Fuzzy set approach to the utility, preference relations, and aggregation operators," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(1), pages 414-422, January.
- Doumpos, Michael & Zopounidis, Constantin, 2011. "Preference disaggregation and statistical learning for multicriteria decision support: A review," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 209(3), pages 203-214, March.
- Liu, Fang & Zhang, Wei-Guo & Wang, Zhong-Xing, 2012. "A goal programming model for incomplete interval multiplicative preference relations and its application in group decision-making," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 218(3), pages 747-754.
- Herrera, F. & Martinez, L. & Sanchez, P. J., 2005. "Managing non-homogeneous information in group decision making," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 166(1), pages 115-132, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:225:y:2013:i:3:p:472-478. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.