Optimal fleet composition and periodic routing of offshore supply vessels
The supply vessel planning problem is a maritime transportation problem faced by amongst others the energy company Statoil. A set of offshore installations requires supplies from an onshore supply depot on a regular basis, a service performed by a fleet of offshore supply vessels. The problem consists of determining the optimal fleet composition of offshore supply vessels and their corresponding weekly voyages and schedules. We present a voyage-based solution method for the supply vessel planning problem. A computational study shows how the solution method can be used to solve real-life problems. Statoil has implemented a planning tool based on the voyage-based solution method and reports significant savings.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hemmelmayr, Vera C. & Doerner, Karl F. & Hartl, Richard F., 2009. "A variable neighborhood search heuristic for periodic routing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 195(3), pages 791-802, June.
- Azi, Nabila & Gendreau, Michel & Potvin, Jean-Yves, 2010. "An exact algorithm for a vehicle routing problem with time windows and multiple use of vehicles," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(3), pages 756-763, May.
- Brandao, Jose & Mercer, Alan, 1997. "A tabu search algorithm for the multi-trip vehicle routing and scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 180-191, July.
- Fagerholt, Kjetil & Lindstad, Håkon, 2000. "Optimal policies for maintaining a supply service in the Norwegian Sea," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 269-275, June.
- Baptista, Susana & Oliveira, Rui Carvalho & Zuquete, Eduardo, 2002. "A period vehicle routing case study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(2), pages 220-229, June.
- Tan, C.C.R. & Beasley, J.E., 1984. "A heuristic algorithm for the period vehicle routing problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 497-504.
- Bjørnar Aas & Øyvind Halskau Sr & Stein W Wallace, 2009. "The role of supply vessels in offshore logistics," Maritime Economics and Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 11(3), pages 302-325, September.
- Mourgaya, M. & Vanderbeck, F., 2007. "Column generation based heuristic for tactical planning in multi-period vehicle routing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 183(3), pages 1028-1041, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:223:y:2012:i:2:p:508-517. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.