Optimal fleet composition and periodic routing of offshore supply vessels
The supply vessel planning problem is a maritime transportation problem faced by amongst others the energy company Statoil. A set of offshore installations requires supplies from an onshore supply depot on a regular basis, a service performed by a fleet of offshore supply vessels. The problem consists of determining the optimal fleet composition of offshore supply vessels and their corresponding weekly voyages and schedules. We present a voyage-based solution method for the supply vessel planning problem. A computational study shows how the solution method can be used to solve real-life problems. Statoil has implemented a planning tool based on the voyage-based solution method and reports significant savings.
Volume (Year): 223 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Azi, Nabila & Gendreau, Michel & Potvin, Jean-Yves, 2010. "An exact algorithm for a vehicle routing problem with time windows and multiple use of vehicles," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(3), pages 756-763, May.
- Baptista, Susana & Oliveira, Rui Carvalho & Zuquete, Eduardo, 2002. "A period vehicle routing case study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 139(2), pages 220-229, June.
- Hemmelmayr, Vera C. & Doerner, Karl F. & Hartl, Richard F., 2009. "A variable neighborhood search heuristic for periodic routing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 195(3), pages 791-802, June.
- Brandao, Jose & Mercer, Alan, 1997. "A tabu search algorithm for the multi-trip vehicle routing and scheduling problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 100(1), pages 180-191, July.
- Bjørnar Aas & Øyvind Halskau Sr & Stein W Wallace, 2009. "The role of supply vessels in offshore logistics," Maritime Economics & Logistics, Palgrave Macmillan;International Association of Maritime Economists (IAME), vol. 11(3), pages 302-325, September.
- Mourgaya, M. & Vanderbeck, F., 2007. "Column generation based heuristic for tactical planning in multi-period vehicle routing," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 183(3), pages 1028-1041, December.
- Tan, C.C.R. & Beasley, J.E., 1984. "A heuristic algorithm for the period vehicle routing problem," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 497-504.
- Fagerholt, Kjetil & Lindstad, Håkon, 2000. "Optimal policies for maintaining a supply service in the Norwegian Sea," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 269-275, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:223:y:2012:i:2:p:508-517. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.