Optimizing system resilience: A facility protection model with recovery time
Optimizing system resilience is concerned with the development of strategies to restore a system to normal operations as quickly and efficiently as possible following potential disruption. To this end, we present in this article a bilevel mixed integer linear program for protecting an uncapacitated median type facility network against worst-case losses, taking into account the role of facility recovery time on system performance and the possibility of multiple disruptions over time. The model differs from previous types of facility protection models in that protection is not necessarily assumed to prevent facility failure altogether, but more precisely to speed up recovery time following a potential disruption. Three different decomposition approaches are devised to optimally solve medium to large problem instances. Computational results provide a cross comparison of the efficiency of each algorithm. Additionally, we present an analysis to estimate cost-efficient levels of investments in protection resources.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Garg, Manish & Smith, J. Cole, 2008. "Models and algorithms for the design of survivable multicommodity flow networks with general failure scenarios," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1057-1071, December.
- Azaiez, M.N. & Bier, Vicki M., 2007. "Optimal resource allocation for security in reliability systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(2), pages 773-786, September.
- Scaparra, Maria P. & Church, Richard L., 2008. "An exact solution approach for the interdiction median problem with fortification," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 189(1), pages 76-92, August.
- Martine Labbé & Patrice Marcotte & Gilles Savard, 1998. "A Bilevel Model of Taxation and Its Application to Optimal Highway Pricing," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(12-Part-1), pages 1608-1622, December.
- O'Hanley, Jesse R. & Church, Richard L., 2011. "Designing robust coverage networks to hedge against worst-case facility losses," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 209(1), pages 23-36, February.
- Zeynep Gümüş & Christodoulos Floudas, 2005. "Global optimization of mixed-integer bilevel programming problems," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 2(3), pages 181-212, 07.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:217:y:2012:i:3:p:519-530. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.