Supply chain management of blood products: A literature review
This paper presents a review of the literature on inventory and supply chain management of blood products. First, we identify different perspectives on approaches to classifying the existing material. Each perspective is presented as a table in which the classification is displayed. The classification choices are exemplified through the citation of key references or by expounding the features of the perspective. The main contribution of this review is to facilitate the tracing of published work in relevant fields of interest, as well as identifying trends and indicating which areas should be subject to future research.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- George M. Frankfurter & Kenneth E. Kendall & C. Carl Pegels, 1974. "Management Control of Blood Through a Short-Term Supply-Demand Forecast System," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(4), pages 444-452, December.
- Awi Federgruen & Gregory Prastacos & Paul H. Zipkin, 1986. "An Allocation and Distribution Model for Perishable Products," Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 34(1), pages 75-82, February.
- Kopach, Renata & Balcioglu, Baris & Carter, Michael, 2008. "Tutorial on constructing a red blood cell inventory management system with two demand rates," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(3), pages 1051-1059, March.
- William P. Pierskalla & Chris D. Roach, 1972. "Optimal Issuing Policies for Perishable Inventory," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 18(11), pages 603-614, July.
- Eric Brodheim & Cyrus Derman & Gregory Prastacos, 1975. "On the Evaluation of a Class of Inventory Policies for Perishable Products Such as Blood," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 21(11), pages 1320-1325, July.
- John B. Jennings, 1973. "Blood Bank Inventory Control," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(6), pages 637-645, February.
- Raj Jagannathan & Tarun Sen, 1991. "Storing Crossmatched Blood: A Perishable Inventory Model with Prior Allocation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(3), pages 251-266, March.
- P. D. Cumming & K. E. Kendall & C. C. Pegels & J. P. Seagle & J. F. Shubsda, 1976. "A Collections Planning Model for Regional Blood Suppliers: Description and Validation," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 22(9), pages 962-971, May.
- Haijema, René & van Dijk, Nico & van der Wal, Jan & Smit Sibinga, Cees, 2009. "Blood platelet production with breaks: optimization by SDP and simulation," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 121(2), pages 464-473, October.
- Gregory P. Prastacos, 1984. "Blood Inventory Management: An Overview of Theory and Practice," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(7), pages 777-800, July.
- M. Barry Dumas & Manus Rabinowitz, 1977. "Policies for Reducing Blood Wastage in Hospital Blood Banks," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(10), pages 1124-1132, June.
- Vrat, Prem & Khan, A. B., 1976. "Simulation of a blood-inventory-bank system in a hospital," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 7-15.
- Sapountzis, Costas, 1984. "Allocating blood to hospitals from a central blood bank," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 157-162, May.
- Katsaliaki, Korina, 2008. "Cost-effective practices in the blood service sector," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 86(2-3), pages 276-287, May.
- Gregor, Paul J. & Forthofer, Ronald N. & Kapadia, Asha S., 1982. "An evaluation of inventory and transportation policies of a regional blood distribution system," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 106-113, May.
- Hemmelmayr, Vera & Doerner, Karl F. & Hartl, Richard F. & Savelsbergh, Martin W.P., 2010. "Vendor managed inventory for environments with stochastic product usage," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(3), pages 686-695, May.
- Gregory P. Prastacos & Eric Brodheim, 1980. "PBDS: A Decision Support System for Regional Blood Management," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(5), pages 451-463, May.
- Eric Brodheim & Gregory P. Prastacos, 1979. "The Long Island Blood Distribution System as a Prototype for Regional Blood Management," Interfaces, INFORMS, vol. 9(5), pages 3-20, November.
- Kenneth E. Kendall & Sang M. Lee, 1980. "Formulating Blood Rotation Policies with Multiple Objectives," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 26(11), pages 1145-1157, November.
- Gregory P. Prastacos, 1981. "Allocation of a Perishable Product Inventory," Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 29(1), pages 95-107, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:217:y:2012:i:1:p:1-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.