A systematic procedure to evaluate an automobile manufacturer-distributor partnership
Automobile manufacturer-distributor partnerships are fundamental to the success of automobile companies. The complexity of the overall partnership model often causes difficulties in partnership study. This paper presents a systematic procedure to evaluate an automobile manufacturer-distributor partnership consisting of a large number of system variables. Firstly, Interpretive Structure Modeling (ISM) is used to sort system variables into groups of various characteristics. This sorting process provides an effective means to develop a three-stage hierarchic/network model of the partnership, including Stage I: partnership selection, Stage II: partnership establishment, and Stage III: partnership maintenance. Secondly, Analytic Hierarchy Process (AHP)/Analytic Network Process (ANP) are applied to partnership evaluation based on as many as 20 system variables. Relative importance weight of all variables is quantitatively determined. The most investment-worthy variables found are management strength and power. Finally, this paper makes a comparison between the optimum distributors identified by the present procedure and in practical cases. The usefulness and efficiency of the proposed procedure are ascertained with highly consistent results in the comparison.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Yu, Jing-Rung & Cheng, Sheu-Ji, 2007. "An integrated approach for deriving priorities in analytic network process," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 180(3), pages 1427-1432, August.
- Kahraman, Cengiz & Ertay, Tijen & Buyukozkan, Gulcin, 2006. "A fuzzy optimization model for QFD planning process using analytic network approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 171(2), pages 390-411, June.
- Vaidya, Omkarprasad S. & Kumar, Sushil, 2006. "Analytic hierarchy process: An overview of applications," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 169(1), pages 1-29, February.
- Agarwal, Ashish & Shankar, Ravi & Tiwari, M.K., 2006. "Modeling the metrics of lean, agile and leagile supply chain: An ANP-based approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 173(1), pages 211-225, August.
- Wang, GuoHong & Wang, YunXia & Zhao, Tao, 2008. "Analysis of interactions among the barriers to energy saving in China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 1879-1889, June.
- Ivanov, Dmitry & Sokolov, Boris & Kaeschel, Joachim, 2010. "A multi-structural framework for adaptive supply chain planning and operations control with structure dynamics considerations," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(2), pages 409-420, January.
- Kim, Keysuk, 2001. "On the effects of customer conditions on distributor commitment and supplier commitment in industrial channels of distribution," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 51(2), pages 87-99, February.
- Partovi, Fariborz Y. & Corredoira, Rafael A., 2002. "Quality function deployment for the good of soccer," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(3), pages 642-656, March.
- Crary, Michael & Nozick, L. K. & Whitaker, L. R., 2002. "Sizing the US destroyer fleet," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 136(3), pages 680-695, February.
- Aragones-Beltran, P. & Aznar, J. & Ferris-Onate, J. & Garcia-Melon, M., 2008. "Valuation of urban industrial land: An analytic network process approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 185(1), pages 322-339, February.
- Bello, Daniel C. & Chelariu, Cristian & Zhang, Li, 2003. "The antecedents and performance consequences of relationalism in export distribution channels," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 56(1), pages 1-16, January.
- Fahy, John, 2002. "A resource-based analysis of sustainable competitive advantage in a global environment," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 57-77, February.
- Feng, Cheng-Min & Wu, Pei-Ju & Chia, Kai-Chieh, 2010. "A hybrid fuzzy integral decision-making model for locating manufacturing centers in China: A case study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 200(1), pages 63-73, January.
- Steuer, Ralph E. & Na, Paul, 2003. "Multiple criteria decision making combined with finance: A categorized bibliographic study," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 150(3), pages 496-515, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:205:y:2010:i:3:p:687-698. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.