An investigation into the relationship between size and efficiency of the Italian hospitality sector: A window DEA approach
This paper analyses the efficiency of hotels across all of the 20 regions in Italy using a data envelopment analysis (DEA). The empirical results indicate that Sardinia can be considered as a region "falling further behind", whereas some regions in the North and Centre of Italy can be regarded as "moving ahead". Using the island of Sardinia as a case study, approximately 150 firms are analysed in detail over the time span 2002-2005. Via a window DEA, both technical and scale efficiencies are computed. An efficiency comparison amongst hotels categorised by size and municipality is run. Finally, policy implications are drawn from the empirical findings that advise how to improve hotels that attained low efficiency scores.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gert-Jan Hospers, 2003. "Localization in Europe's Periphery: Tourism Development in Sardinia," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(6), pages 629-645, September.
- Rozenn Perrigot & Gérard Cliquet & Isabelle Piot-Lepetit, 2009. "Plural form chain and efficiency: Insights from theFrench hotel chains and the DEA methodology," Post-Print halshs-00422241, HAL.
- Cook, Wade D. & Seiford, Larry M., 2009. "Data envelopment analysis (DEA) - Thirty years on," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 192(1), pages 1-17, January.
- R. D. Banker & A. Charnes & W. W. Cooper, 1984. "Some Models for Estimating Technical and Scale Inefficiencies in Data Envelopment Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(9), pages 1078-1092, September.
- repec:kap:iaecre:v:10:y:2004:i:3:p:215-225 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cullinane Kevin & Song Dong-Wook & Ji Ping & Wang Teng-Fei, 2004. "An Application of DEA Windows Analysis to Container Port Production Efficiency," Review of Network Economics, De Gruyter, vol. 3(2), pages 1-23, June.
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Keh, Hean Tat & Chu, Singfat & Xu, Jiye, 2006. "Efficiency, effectiveness and productivity of marketing in services," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 170(1), pages 265-276, April.
- Botti, Laurent & Briec, Walter & Cliquet, Gérard, 2009. "Plural forms versus franchise and company-owned systems: A DEA approach of hotel chain performance," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 566-578, June.
- Laurent Botti & Walter Briec & Gérard Cliquet, 2009. "Plural forms versus franchise and company-owned systems:ADEAapproach of hotel chain performance," Post-Print halshs-00348088, HAL.
- Carlos Barros & Fernando Alves, 2004. "Productivity in the tourism industry," International Advances in Economic Research, Springer;International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 10(3), pages 215-225, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:204:y:2010:i:3:p:613-620. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.