Mathematical programming models for revenue management under customer choice
We study a network airline revenue management problem with discrete customer choice behavior. We discuss a choice model based on the concept of preference orders, in which customers can be grouped according to a list of options in decreasing order of preference. If a customer's preferred option is not available, the customer moves to the next choice on the list with some probability. If that option is not available, the customer moves to the third choice on the list with some probability, and so forth until either the customer has no other choice but to leave or his/her request is accepted. Using this choice model as an input, we propose some mathematical programs to determine seat allocations. We also propose a post-optimization heuristic to refine the allocation suggested by the optimization model. Simulation results are presented to illustrate the effectiveness of our method, including comparisons with other models.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bodily, S. E. & Weatherford, L. R., 1995. "Perishable-asset revenue management: Generic and multiple-price yield management with diversion," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 173-185, April.
- Qian Liu & Garrett van Ryzin, 2008. "On the Choice-Based Linear Programming Model for Network Revenue Management," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 10(2), pages 288-310, October.
- William L. Cooper & Diwakar Gupta, 2006. "Stochastic Comparisons in Airline Revenue Management," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 8(3), pages 221-234, February.
- Kalyan Talluri & Garrett van Ryzin, 2004. "Revenue Management Under a General Discrete Choice Model of Consumer Behavior," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 15-33, January.
- de Boer, Sanne V. & Freling, Richard & Piersma, Nanda, 2002. "Mathematical programming for network revenue management revisited," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(1), pages 72-92, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:203:y:2010:i:2:p:294-305. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.