Network revenue management with inventory-sensitive bid prices and customer choice
We develop an approximate dynamic programming approach to network revenue management models with customer choice that approximates the value function of the Markov decision process with a non-linear function which is separable across resource inventory levels. This approximation can exhibit significantly improved accuracy compared to currently available methods. It further allows for arbitrary aggregation of inventory units and thereby reduction of computational workload, yields upper bounds on the optimal expected revenue that are provably at least as tight as those obtained from previous approaches. Computational experiments for the multinomial logit choice model with distinct consideration sets show that policies derived from our approach can outperform some recently proposed alternatives, and we demonstrate how aggregation can be used to balance solution quality and runtime.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 216 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/eor|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joern Meissner & Arne Strauss & Kalyan Talluri, 2011.
"An Enhanced Concave Program Relaxation for Choice Network Revenue Management,"
MRG/0020, Department of Management Science, Lancaster University, revised Jan 2011.
- Joern Meissner & Arne Strauss & Kalyan Talluri, 2011. "An Enhanced Concave Program Relaxation for Choice Network Revenue Management," Working Papers 534, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Joern Meissner & Arne Strauss & Kalyan Talluri, 2011. "An enhanced concave program relaxation for choice network revenue management," Economics Working Papers 1259, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Aug 2011.
- Kalyan Talluri & Garrett van Ryzin, 2004. "Revenue Management Under a General Discrete Choice Model of Consumer Behavior," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 50(1), pages 15-33, January.
- Joern Meissner & Arne Strauss, 2009. "Choice-Based Network Revenue Management under Weak Market Segmentation," Working Papers MRG/0012, Department of Management Science, Lancaster University, revised May 2010.
- Garrett van Ryzin & Gustavo Vulcano, 2008. "Computing Virtual Nesting Controls for Network Revenue Management Under Customer Choice Behavior," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 10(3), pages 448-467, October.
- Zhang, Dan & Cooper, William L., 2009. "Pricing substitutable flights in airline revenue management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 197(3), pages 848-861, September.
- Wen-Chyuan Chiang & Jason C.H. Chen & Xiaojing Xu, 2007. "An overview of research on revenue management: current issues and future research," International Journal of Revenue Management, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 1(1), pages 97-128.
- Chen, Lijian & Homem-de-Mello, Tito, 2010. "Mathematical programming models for revenue management under customer choice," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 203(2), pages 294-305, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)