Sustainable production technologies which take into account environmental constraints
We formulate and study a multiobjective programming approach for production processes which implements suitable constraints on pollutant emissions. We consider two alternative optimization problems: (a) minimum pollution risk; (b) maximum expected return. For each pollutant, we define three different contamination levels: (a) the desirable or the target pollution level, (b) the alarm (warning or critical) level and (c) the maximum admissible (acceptable) level, and introduce penalties proportional to the amounts of pollutants that exceed these levels. The objective function of the minimum pollution risk problem is not smooth since it contains positive parts of some affine functions, resulting in mathematical difficulties, which can be solved by formulating an alternative linear programming model, which makes use of additional variables and has the same solutions as the initial problem. We investigate various particular cases and analyze a numerical example for a textile plant.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clarke, Harry R., 1987. "Production planning in a firm subject to environmental regulation," Resources and Energy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 35-44, June.
- Ulhoi, John P., 1995. "Corporate environmental and resource management: In search of a new managerial paradigm," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 2-15, January.
- Letmathe, Peter & Balakrishnan, Nagraj, 2005. "Environmental considerations on the optimal product mix," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 167(2), pages 398-412, December.
- Zeyuan Qiu & Tony Prato & Francis McCamley, 2001. "Evaluating Environmental Risks Using Safety-First Constraints," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 83(2), pages 402-413.
- Wu, Chia-Chin & Chang, Ni-Bin, 2004. "Corporate optimal production planning with varying environmental costs: A grey compromise programming approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 155(1), pages 68-95, May.
- Wirl, Franz, 1991. "Evaluation of management strategies under environmental constraints," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 55(2), pages 191-200, November.
- Daniel, S. E. & Diakoulaki, D. C. & Pappis, C. P., 1997. "Operations research and environmental planning," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 248-263, October.
- Nijkamp, Peter & van den Bergh, Jeroen C. J. M., 1997. "New advances in economic modelling and evaluation of environmental issues," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 99(1), pages 180-196, May.
- Penkuhn, T. & Spengler, Th. & Puchert, H. & Rentz, O., 1997. "Environmental integrated production planning for the ammonia synthesis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 97(2), pages 327-336, March.
- Bloemhof-Ruwaard, Jacqueline M. & van Beek, Paul & Hordijk, Leen & Van Wassenhove, Luk N., 1995. "Interactions between operational research and environmental management," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 85(2), pages 229-243, September.
- Wirl, F. & Infanger, G. & Unterwurzacher, E., 1987. "Planning of production under environmental constraints," Engineering Costs and Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1-4), pages 299-305, July.
- Robert D. Klassen & Curtis P. McLaughlin, 1996. "The Impact of Environmental Management on Firm Performance," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 42(8), pages 1199-1214, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:193:y:2009:i:3:p:730-740. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.