Finding and identifying optimal inventory levels for systems with common components
In this article, we consider the problem of finding the optimal inventory level for components in an assembly system where multiple products share common components in the presence of random demand. Previously, solution procedures that identify the optimal inventory levels for components in a component commonality problem have been considered for two product or one common component systems. We will here extend this to a three products system considering any number of common components. The inventory problem considered is modeled as a two stage stochastic recourse problem where the first stage is to set the inventory levels to maximize expected profit while the second stage is to allocate components to products after observing demand. Our main contribution, and the main focus of this paper, is the outline of a procedure that finds the gradient for the stochastic problem, such that an optimal solution can be identified and a gradient based search method can be used to find the optimal solution.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kenneth R. Baker & Michael J. Magazine & Henry L. W. Nuttle, 1986. "The Effect of Commonality on Safety Stock in a Simple Inventory Model," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(8), pages 982-988, August.
- Jonsson, Henrik & Jornsten, Kurt & Silver, Edward A., 1993. "Application of the scenario aggregation approach to a two-stage, stochastic, common component, inventory problem with a budget constraint," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 196-211, July.
- Jonsson, Henrik & Silver, Edward A., 1989. "Common component inventory problems with a budget constraint: Heuristics and upper bounds," Engineering Costs and Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 71-81, October.
- Jonsson, Henrik & Silver, Edward A., 1989. "Optimal and heuristic solutions for a simple common component inventory problem," Engineering Costs and Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 257-267, July.
- Haugland, Dag & Wallace, Stein W., 1988. "Solving many linear programs that differ only in the righthand side," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 318-324, December.
- Yigal Gerchak & Michael J. Magazine & A. Bruce Gamble, 1988. "Component Commonality with Service Level Requirements," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(6), pages 753-760, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:193:y:2009:i:1:p:98-119. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.