Robust penalized quantile regression estimation for panel data
This paper investigates a class of penalized quantile regression estimators for panel data. The penalty serves to shrink a vector of individual specific effects toward a common value. The degree of this shrinkage is controlled by a tuning parameter [lambda]. It is shown that the class of estimators is asymptotically unbiased and Gaussian, when the individual effects are drawn from a class of zero-median distribution functions. The tuning parameter, [lambda], can thus be selected to minimize estimated asymptotic variance. Monte Carlo evidence reveals that the estimator can significantly reduce the variability of the fixed-effect version of the estimator without introducing bias.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521780506, November.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1982. "Multivariate regression models for panel data," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 5-46, January.
- Pollard, David, 1991. "Asymptotics for Least Absolute Deviation Regression Estimators," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 186-199, June.
- Kooperberg, Charles & Stone, Charles J., 1991. "A study of logspline density estimation," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 327-347, November.
- Joshua Angrist & Eric Bettinger & Erik Bloom & Elizabeth King & Michael Kremer, 2001.
"Vouchers for Private Schooling in Colombia: Evidence from a Randomized Natural Experiment,"
NBER Working Papers
8343, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Angrist & Eric Bettinger & Erik Bloom & Elizabeth King & Michael Kremer, 2002. "Vouchers for Private Schooling in Colombia: Evidence from a Randomized Natural Experiment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(5), pages 1535-1558, December.
- Elizabeth King & Eric Bettinger & Erik Bloom & Joshua Angrist & Michael Kremer, 2002. "Vouchers for private schooling in colombia: Evidence from a randomized natural experiment," Natural Field Experiments 00203, The Field Experiments Website.
- Marc Nerlove, 1968.
"Further Evidence on the Estimation of Dynamic Economic Relations from a Time Series of Cross-Sections,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
257, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Nerlove, Marc, 1971. "Further Evidence on the Estimation of Dynamic Economic Relations from a Time Series of Cross Sections," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(2), pages 359-82, March.
- Joel L. Horowitz & Marianthi Markatou, 1996. "Semiparametric Estimation of Regression Models for Panel Data," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 63(1), pages 145-168.
- Roger Koenker & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001.
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 15(4), pages 143-156, Fall.
- Koenker, Roger, 2004. "Quantile regression for longitudinal data," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 74-89, October.
- Ruppert,David & Wand,M. P. & Carroll,R. J., 2003. "Semiparametric Regression," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521785167, November.
- Baltagi, Badi H., 1981. "Pooling : An experimental study of alternative testing and estimation procedures in a two-way error component model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 21-49, September.
- Roger Koenker & Zhijie Xiao, 2002. "Inference on the Quantile Regression Process," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(4), pages 1583-1612, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:econom:v:157:y:2010:i:2:p:396-408. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.