A dynamic auction for differentiated items under price rigidities
A number of heterogeneous items are to be sold to several bidders. Each bidder demands at most one item. The price of each item is not completely flexible but restricted to some admissible interval. Due to price rigidities, a Walrasian equilibrium usually fails to exist. To facilitate the allocation of items to the bidders, we propose an efficient ascending auction with rationing that yields a constrained Walrasian equilibrium outcome in a finite number of steps.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dehez, Pierre & Dreze, Jacques H., 1984.
"On supply-constrained equilibria,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 172-182, June.
- Kurz, Mordecai, 1982. "Unemployment equilibrium in an economy with linked prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 100-123, February.
- Herings, P.J.J. & Talman, A.J.J. & Yang, Z.F., 1996.
"The computation of a continuum of constrained equilibria,"
Other publications TiSEM
ba4c6d83-befb-4a25-8477-c, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Jean-Jacques Herings & Dolf Talman & Zaifu Yang, 1996. "The Computation of a Continuum of Constrained Equilibria," Mathematics of Operations Research, INFORMS, vol. 21(3), pages 675-696, August.
- Herings, P.J.J. & Talman, A.J.J. & Zang, Z., 1994. "The computation of a continuum of constrained equilibria," Discussion Paper 1994-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Crawford, Vincent P & Knoer, Elsie Marie, 1981. "Job Matching with Heterogeneous Firms and Workers," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(2), pages 437-450, March.
- Demange, Gabrielle & Gale, David & Sotomayor, Marilda, 1986.
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 94(4), pages 863-872, August.
- van der Laan, Gerard, 1980. "Equilibrium under Rigid Prices with Compensation for the consumers," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 63-73, February.
- Maskin, Eric S., 2000. "Auctions, development, and privatization: Efficient auctions with liquidity-constrained buyers," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(4-6), pages 667-681, May.
- Weddepohl, Claus, 1987. "Supply-constrained equilibria in economies with indexed prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 203-222, December.
- Cox, Charles C, 1980. "The Enforcement of Public Price Controls," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(5), pages 887-916, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:99:y:2008:i:2:p:278-281. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.