Equilibrium existence results for economies with price rigidities
An exchange economy with price rigidities and rationing is considered. The rationing systems allowed are very general. Several characterizations of the set of constrained equilibria are given, and new equilibrium existence results are provided. More specifically, well-known properties like the existence of equilibria without rationing of the numeraire commodity, and the existence of supply and demand constrained equilibria without rationing on the market of at least one commodity follow as special cases from the theorems proved. Finally it is shown that the equilibrium correspondence is upper semi-continuous, while it is continuous on a residual set of points. In order to prove these results a new continuity result for the budget correspondence is given.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): 7 (1995)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Note:||Received: March 11, 1994; revised version July 15, 1994|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00199/index.htm|
|Order Information:||Web: http://link.springer.de/orders.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- van der Laan, Gerard, 1984. "Supply-constrained fixed price equilibria in monetary economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 171-187, October.
- Nguyen, Trien T & Whalley, John, 1990. "General Equilibrium Analysis of Price Controls: A Computational Approach," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(3), pages 667-84, August.
- Benassy Jean-pascal, 1974.
"Neokeynesian disequilibrium theory in a monetary economy,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1975. "Neo-Keynesian Disequilibrium Theory in a Monetary Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 503-23, October.
- Van Der Laan, G. & Ta & Man, A.J.J., 1989.
"Price Rigidities And Rationing,"
8913, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- van der Laan, G. & Talman, A.J.J., 1989. "Price rigidities and rationing," Discussion Paper 1989-13, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Laan, G. van der & Talman, A.J.J., 1989. "Price regidities and rationing," Serie Research Memoranda 0004, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Weddepohl, Claus, 1983. "Fixed price equilibria in a multifirm model," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 95-108, February.
- Weddepohl, Claus, 1987. "Supply-constrained equilibria in economies with indexed prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 203-222, December.
- Kurz, Mordecai, 1982. "Unemployment equilibrium in an economy with linked prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 100-123, February.
- van der Laan, Gerard, 1980. "Equilibrium under Rigid Prices with Compensation for the consumers," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 63-73, February.
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1993. "Nonclearing Markets: Microeconomic Concepts and Macroeconomic Applications," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 31(2), pages 732-61, June.
- Dreze, Jacques H, 1975. "Existence of an Exchange Equilibrium under Price Rigidities," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 16(2), pages 301-20, June.
- Polterovich, Victor, 1993. "Rationing, Queues, and Black Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Dehez, Pierre & Dreze, Jacques H., 1984. "On supply-constrained equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 172-182, June.
- Wu, Ho-Mou, 1988. "Unemployment equilibrium in a random economy," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 385-400, September.
- Nguyen, Trien T. & Whalley, John, 1986. "Equilibrium under price controls with endogenous transactions costs," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 290-300, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spr:joecth:v:7:y:1995:i:1:p:63-80. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sonal Shukla)or (Christopher F Baum)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.