Equilibrium adjustment of disequilibrium prices
We consider an exchange economy in which price rigidities are present. In the short run the non-numeraire commodities have a exible price level with respect to the numeraire commodity but their relative prices are mutually fixed. In the long run prices are assumed to be completely exible. For a given price level and fixed relative prices, markets can be equilibrated by means of quantity rationing on demand and supply. Keeping markets in equilibrium through rationing, we provide an adjustment process in prices and quantities converging from a trivial equilibrium with complete demand rationing on all non-numeraire markets to a Walrasian equilibrium. Along the path initially all relative prices are kept fixed and the price level is increased. Rationing schemes are adjusted to keep markets in equilibrium. Doing so the process reaches a short run equilibrium with only demand rationing and no rationing on the numeraire and at least one of the other commodities. The process allows for a downward price adjustment of non-rationed non-numeraire commodities and reaches a Walrasian equilibrium in the long run.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wu, Ho-Mou, 1988. "Unemployment equilibrium in a random economy," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 385-400, September.
- Dehez, Pierre & Dreze, Jacques H., 1984. "On supply-constrained equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 172-182, June.
- Day, Richard H. & Pianigiani, Giulio, 1991. "Statistical Dynamics and Economics," Working Paper Series 293, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Herings, J.J., 1993.
"On the Connectedness of the Set of Constrained Equilibria,"
9363, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Herings, P.J.J., 1993. "On the connectedness of the set of constrained equilibria," Discussion Paper 1993-63, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Saari, Donald G, 1985. "Iterative Price Mechanisms," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(5), pages 1117-31, September.
- Veendorp, E C H, 1975. "Stable Spillovers among Substitutes," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 445-56, July.
- van der Laan, Gerard, 1984. "Supply-constrained fixed price equilibria in monetary economies," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 171-187, October.
- Blad, Michael C., 1978. "On the speed of adjustment in the classical tatonnement process: A limit result," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 186-191, October.
- van der Laan, G. & Talman, A.J.J., 1987.
"A convergent price adjustment process,"
Other publications TiSEM
0271830c-c03d-46a1-ae6f-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Dreze, Jacques H, 1975. "Existence of an Exchange Equilibrium under Price Rigidities," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 16(2), pages 301-20, June.
- Day, Richard H. & Pianigiani, Giulio, 1991. "Statistical dynamics and economics," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 37-83, July.
- Kamiya, Kazuya, 1990. "A Globally Stable Price Adjustment Process," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1481-85, November.
- van der LAAN,Â Gerard, .
"Simplicial approximation of unemployment equilibria,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
467, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Laan, Gerard van der, 1982. "Simplicial approximation of unemployment equilibria," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1-2), pages 83-97, January.
- Kurz, Mordecai, 1982. "Unemployment equilibrium in an economy with linked prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 100-123, February.
- Herings, P.J.J., 1992. "On the structure of constrained equilibria," Research Memorandum FEW 587, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Smale, Steve, 1976. "A convergent process of price adjustment and global newton methods," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(2), pages 107-120, July.
- Polterovich, Victor, 1993. "Rationing, Queues, and Black Markets," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Weddepohl, Claus, 1987. "Supply-constrained equilibria in economies with indexed prices," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 203-222, December.
- van der Laan, Gerard, 1980. "Equilibrium under Rigid Prices with Compensation for the consumers," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 63-73, February.
- Laroque, G, 1981. "A Comment on "Stable Spillovers among Substitutes."," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(2), pages 355-61, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:mateco:v:27:y:1997:i:1:p:53-77. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.