Non-Manipulable House Allocation with Rent Control
In many real-life house allocation problems, rents are bounded from above by price ceilings imposed by a government or a local administration. This is known as rent control. Because some price equilibria may be disqualified given such restrictions, this paper proposes an alternative equilibrium concept, called rationing price equilibrium, tailored to capture the specific features of housing markets with rent control. An allocation rule that always selects a rationing price equilibrium is defined, and it is demonstrated to be ``efficient" and (group) non-manipulable for ``almost all" preference profiles. In its bounding cases, the rule reduces to a number of well-known mechanisms from the matching literature. In this sense, the housing market with rent control investigated in this paper integrates several of the predominant matching models into a more general framework.
|Date of creation:||28 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:||10 Jun 2013|
|Publication status:||Published as Andersson, Tommy and Lars-Gunnar Svensson, 'Non-Manipulable House Allocation with Rent Control' in Econometrica, 2014, pages 507-539.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, School of Economics and Management, Lund University, Box 7082, S-220 07 Lund,Sweden|
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Szilvia Papai, 2000. "Strategyproof Assignment by Hierarchical Exchange," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1403-1434, November.
- Mishra, Debasis & Talman, Dolf, 2010.
"Characterization of the Walrasian equilibria of the assignment model,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 6-20, January.
- Debasis Mishra & Dolf Talman, 2008. "Characterization of the walrasian equilibria of the assignment model," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 08-07, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Mishra, D. & Talman, A.J.J., 2010. "Characterization of the Walrasian equilibria of the assignment model," Other publications TiSEM 3e249b02-c0f4-4ccf-bd37-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sönmez & M. Utku Ünver, 2004. "Kidney Exchange," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 119(2), pages 457-488.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sonmez & M. Utku Unver, 2003. "Kidney Exchange," Game Theory and Information 0308002, EconWPA.
- Roth, Alvin & Ãœnver, M. Utku & SÃ¶nmez, Tayfun, 2004. "Kidney Exchange," Scholarly Articles 2580565, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sonmez & M. Utku Unver, 2003. "Kidney Exchange," NBER Working Papers 10002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Atila Abdulkadiroglu & Tayfun Sonmez, 1998. "Random Serial Dictatorship and the Core from Random Endowments in House Allocation Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(3), pages 689-702, May.
- van der Laan, Gerard, 1980. "Equilibrium under Rigid Prices with Compensation for the consumers," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 63-73, February.
- Andersson, Tommy & Svensson, Lars-Gunnar, 2008. "Non-manipulable assignment of individuals to positions revisited," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 350-354, November.
- Andersson, Tommy & Svensson, Lars-Gunnar, 2006. "Non-manipulable Assignment of Individuals to Positions Revisited," Working Papers 2006:11, Lund University, Department of Economics, revised 12 Apr 2007.
- Abdulkadiroglu, Atila & Sonmez, Tayfun, 1999. "House Allocation with Existing Tenants," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 233-260, October.
- Atila Abdulkadiroglu & Tayfun Sönmez, 2003. "School Choice: A Mechanism Design Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 729-747, June.
- Dehez, Pierre & Dreze, Jacques H., 1984. "On supply-constrained equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 172-182, June.
- DEHEZ, Pierre & DREZE, Jacques H., "undated". "On supply-constrained equilibria," CORE Discussion Papers RP 576, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Richard Arnott, 1995. "Time for Revisionism on Rent Control?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 99-120, Winter.
- Alkan, Ahmet & Demange, Gabrielle & Gale, David, 1991. "Fair Allocation of Indivisible Goods and Criteria of Justice," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 1023-1039, July.
- Balinski, Michel & Sonmez, Tayfun, 1999. "A Tale of Two Mechanisms: Student Placement," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 73-94, January.
- Ehlers, Lars, 2002. "Coalitional Strategy-Proof House Allocation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 298-317, August. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)