Non-Manipulable House Allocation with Rent Control
In many real-life house allocation problems, rents are bounded from above by price ceilings imposed by a government or a local administration. This is known as rent control. Because some price equilibria may be disqualified given such restrictions, this paper proposes an alternative equilibrium concept, called rationing price equilibrium, tailored to capture the specific features of housing markets with rent control. An allocation rule that always selects a rationing price equilibrium is defined, and it is demonstrated to be ``efficient" and (group) non-manipulable for ``almost all" preference profiles. In its bounding cases, the rule reduces to a number of well-known mechanisms from the matching literature. In this sense, the housing market with rent control investigated in this paper integrates several of the predominant matching models into a more general framework.
|Date of creation:||28 Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:||10 Jun 2013|
|Publication status:||Published as Andersson, Tommy and Lars-Gunnar Svensson, 'Non-Manipulable House Allocation with Rent Control' in Econometrica, 2014, pages 507-539.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46 +46 222 0000
Fax: +46 +46 2224613
Web page: http://www.nek.lu.se/en
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atila Abdulkadiroglu & Tayfun Sönmez, 2003. "School Choice: A Mechanism Design Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(3), pages 729-747, June.
- Alvin E. Roth & Tayfun Sonmez & M. Utku Unver, 2003.
NBER Working Papers
10002, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Arnott, 1995. "Time for Revisionism on Rent Control?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(1), pages 99-120, Winter.
- Abdulkadiroglu, Atila & Sonmez, Tayfun, 1999. "House Allocation with Existing Tenants," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 233-260, October.
- van der Laan, Gerard, 1980. "Equilibrium under Rigid Prices with Compensation for the consumers," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 21(1), pages 63-73, February.
- Andersson, Tommy & Svensson, Lars-Gunnar, 2006.
"Non-manipulable Assignment of Individuals to Positions Revisited,"
2006:11, Lund University, Department of Economics, revised 12 Apr 2007.
- Andersson, Tommy & Svensson, Lars-Gunnar, 2008. "Non-manipulable assignment of individuals to positions revisited," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 56(3), pages 350-354, November.
- Balinski, Michel & Sonmez, Tayfun, 1999. "A Tale of Two Mechanisms: Student Placement," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 73-94, January.
- Mishra, Debasis & Talman, Dolf, 2010.
"Characterization of the Walrasian equilibria of the assignment model,"
Journal of Mathematical Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 6-20, January.
- Mishra, D. & Talman, A.J.J., 2010. "Characterization of the Walrasian equilibria of the assignment model," Other publications TiSEM 3e249b02-c0f4-4ccf-bd37-f, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Debasis Mishra & Dolf Talman, 2008. "Characterization of the walrasian equilibria of the assignment model," Indian Statistical Institute, Planning Unit, New Delhi Discussion Papers 08-07, Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, India.
- Alkan, Ahmet & Demange, Gabrielle & Gale, David, 1991. "Fair Allocation of Indivisible Goods and Criteria of Justice," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 1023-39, July.
- Atila Abdulkadiroglu & Tayfun Sonmez, 1998. "Random Serial Dictatorship and the Core from Random Endowments in House Allocation Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(3), pages 689-702, May.
- Dehez, Pierre & Dreze, Jacques H., 1984. "On supply-constrained equilibria," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 172-182, June.
- Ehlers, Lars, 2002. "Coalitional Strategy-Proof House Allocation," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 105(2), pages 298-317, August.
- Szilvia Papai, 2000. "Strategyproof Assignment by Hierarchical Exchange," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(6), pages 1403-1434, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:lunewp:2012_018. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Edgerton)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.