The persistence in volatility of the US term premium 1970-1986
This paper examines the persistence of the volatility of the risk premia for excess holding period returns of the term structure using a GARCH-M model of the conditional variance. The finding of a high degree of persistance cannot be sustained once allowance is made for a structural break in the unconditional variance caused by a change in the operation of US monetary policy during 1979-1982.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Phillips, G. D. A. & McCabe, B. P., 1983. "The independence of tests for structural change in regression models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 12(3-4), pages 283-287.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1978. "Asset Prices in an Exchange Economy," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1429-1445, November.
- Toyoda, Toshihisa & Ohtani, Kazuhiro, 1986. "Testing equality between sets of coefficients after a preliminary test for equality of disturbance variances in two linear regressions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 67-80, February.
- Backus, David K & Gregory, Allan W, 1993.
"Theoretical Relations between Risk Premiums and Conditional Variances,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 11(2), pages 177-185, April.
- David K. Backus & Allan W. Gregory, 1992. "Theoretical Relations Between Risk Premiums and Conditional Variances," Working Papers 92-18a, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- Lamoureux, Christopher G & Lastrapes, William D, 1990. "Persistence in Variance, Structural Change, and the GARCH Model," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 8(2), pages 225-234, April.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Ernst R. Berndt & Bronwyn H. Hall & Robert E. Hall & Jerry A. Hausman, 1974. "Estimation and Inference in Nonlinear Structural Models," NBER Chapters,in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 3, number 4, pages 653-665 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lee, Tom K Y & Tse, Y K, 1991. "Term Structure of Interest Rates in the Singapore Asian Dollar Market," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 143-152, April-Jun. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)