Radner’s cost–benefit analysis in the small: An equivalence result
I show that local changes in five welfare measures are equal: a measure proposed by Radner (1993); consumers’ surplus; the Slutsky change in real wealth; the Divisia quantity index, and Debreu’s (1951) coefficient of resource utilization (the last two rescaled in units of a numeraire good).
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Willig, Robert D, 1976. "Consumer's Surplus without Apology," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(4), pages 589-97, September.
- Silberberg, Eugene, 1972. "Duality and the Many Consumer's Surpluses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 942-52, December.
- Mas-Colell,Andreu, 1985.
"The Theory of General Economic Equilibrium,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521265140.
- Hammond,Peter, 1988.
"Theoretical progress in public economics: A provocative assessment,"
Discussion Paper Serie A
171, University of Bonn, Germany.
- Hammond, Peter J, 1990. "Theoretical Progress in Public Economics: A Provocative Assessment," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 42(1), pages 6-33, January.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1972.
Econometric Society, vol. 40(4), pages 603-15, July.
- DEBREU, GÃ©rard, .
"Economies with a finite set of equilibria,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
67, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bruce, Neil, 1977. "A Note on Consumer's Surplus, the Divisia Index, and the Measurement of Welfare Changes," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(4), pages 1033-38, May.
- Edward E. Schlee, 2013. "Surplus Maximization and Optimality," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 103(6), pages 2585-2611, October.
- Arrow, Kenneth J & Lind, Robert C, 1970. "Uncertainty and the Evaluation of Public Investment Decisions," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(3), pages 364-78, June.
- Blackorby, Charles, 1999. " Partial-Equilibrium Welfare Analysis," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 1(3), pages 359-74.
- Diewert, W E, 1981. "The Measurement of Deadweight Loss Revisited," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(5), pages 1225-44, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:120:y:2013:i:3:p:570-572. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.