On the origin of high persistence in GARCH-models
We show that the (Baillie and Chung, 2001) minimum distance estimates of the GARCH (1,1) model induce spurious persistence in the volatility when there are structural changes in the mean of the process.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hillebrand, Eric, 2005. "Neglecting parameter changes in GARCH models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 129(1-2), pages 121-138.
- Diebold, Francis X. & Inoue, Atsushi, 2001.
"Long memory and regime switching,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 131-159, November.
- Francis X. Diebold & Atsushi Inoue, 2000. "Long Memory and Regime Switching," NBER Technical Working Papers 0264, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krämer, Walter, 2008. "Long memory with Markov-Switching GARCH," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 99(2), pages 390-392, May.
- Prof. Dr. Walter Krämer, "undated". "Long memory with Markov-Switching GARCH," Working Papers 6, Business and Social Statistics Department, Technische Universität Dortmund, revised Oct 2006.
- Krämer, Walter, 2006. "Long memory with Markov-Switching GARCH," Technical Reports 2006,35, Technische Universität Dortmund, Sonderforschungsbereich 475: Komplexitätsreduktion in multivariaten Datenstrukturen.
- Walter Kraemer, 2008. "Long Memory with Markov-Switching GARCH," CESifo Working Paper Series 2225, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cătălin Stărică & Clive Granger, 2005. "Nonstationarities in Stock Returns," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(3), pages 503-522, August.
- Catalin Starica & Clive Granger, 2004. "Non-stationarities in stock returns," Econometrics 0411016, EconWPA.
- Kramer, Walter & Azamo, Baudouin Tameze, 2007. "Structural change and estimated persistence in the GARCH(1,1)-model," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 17-23, October.
- Prof. Dr. Walter Krämer & Baudouin Tameze Azamo, "undated". "Structural change and estimated persistence in the GARCH(1,1)-model," Working Papers 5, Business and Social Statistics Department, Technische Universität Dortmund, revised May 2006.
- Thomas Mikosch & Catalin Starica, 2004. "Non-stationarities in financial time series, the long range dependence and the IGARCH effects," Econometrics 0412005, EconWPA. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolet:v:114:y:2012:i:1:p:72-75. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.