Valuing insurance services emerging from a gene bank: The case of the Greek Gene Bank
We develop a conceptual framework for determining insurance values associated with a gene bank and we apply the methodology to the Greek Gene Bank (GGB), the largest ex situ conservation program in Greece. To evaluate the insurance value generated by the holdings of the GGB genetic resources, the current study examined scenarios for alternative arrival probabilities of an adverse event that would negatively affect production of seven major staple crops held at the GGB within the next 100years. Within the range of our estimates, it is indicated that insurance values considerably exceed the current operating costs of maintaining the GGB.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert S. Pindyck, 2010.
"Fat Tails, Thin Tails, and Climate Change Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
16353, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Athanassoglou, Stergios & Xepapadeas, Anastasios, 2012. "Pollution control with uncertain stock dynamics: When, and how, to be precautious," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 63(3), pages 304-320.
- Weitzman, Martin L., 2009.
"On Modeling and Interpreting the Economics of Catastrophic Climate Change,"
3693423, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Martin L. Weitzman, 2009. "On Modeling and Interpreting the Economics of Catastrophic Climate Change," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 91(1), pages 1-19, February.
- Scheinkman, Jose A. & Zariphopoulou, Thaleia, 2001. "Optimal Environmental Management in the Presence of Irreversibilities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 96(1-2), pages 180-207, January.
- Armineh Zohrabian & Greg Traxler & Steven Caudill & Melinda Smale, 2003. "Valuing Pre-Commercial Genetic Resources: A Maximum Entropy Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 85(2), pages 429-436.
- Arrow, Kenneth J & Fisher, Anthony C, 1974. "Environmental Preservation, Uncertainty, and Irreversibility," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 88(2), pages 312-19, May.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 2013.
"Climate Change Policy: What Do the Models Tell Us?,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 51(3), pages 860-72, September.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 2013. "Climate Change Policy: What Do the Models Tell Us?," NBER Working Papers 19244, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Douglas Gollin & Melinda Smale & Bent Skovmand, 2000. "Searching an Ex Situ Collection of Wheat Genetic Resources," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(4), pages 812-827.
- Simpson, R David & Sedjo, Roger A & Reid, John W, 1996. "Valuing Biodiversity for Use in Pharmaceutical Research," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 104(1), pages 163-85, February.
- Wright, Brian D., 1997. "Crop genetic resource policy: the role of ex situ genebanks," Australian Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society, vol. 41(1), March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ecolec:v:97:y:2014:i:c:p:140-149. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.