A general theory of corporate international investment under incomplete information, short sales and taxes
The theory of corporate international investment is extended to account for the effects of information costs, short sales and taxes on the management decision process. Our results explain how real exchange risk, competition and diversification gains affect corporate international investment decisions in this setting. The model includes clear forward looking explanations of some anomalies in the literature such as the ‘home bias puzzle’ in international finance.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jeremy Greenwood & Juan M. Sanchez & Cheng Wang, 2010.
"Financing Development: The Role of Information Costs,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 100(4), pages 1875-1891, September.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Juan M. Sanchez & Cheng Wang, 2007. "Financing Development: The Role of Information Costs," Economie d'Avant Garde Research Reports 14, Economie d'Avant Garde.
- Greenwood, Jeremy & Sanchez, Juan M & Wang, Cheng, 2007. "Financing Development: The Role of Information Costs," Staff General Research Papers Archive 12848, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Juan M. Sanchez & Cheng Wang, 2007. "Financing Development: The Role of Information Costs," NBER Working Papers 13104, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Juan M. Sanchez & Cheng Wang, 2009. "Financing development : the role of information costs," Working Paper 08-08, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Jeremy Greenwood & Juan M. Sánchez & Cheng Wang, 2010. "Financing development: the role of information costs," Working Papers 2010-024, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Jeremy Greenwood, 2007. "Financing Development: The Role of Information Costs," 2007 Meeting Papers 171, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Fabio Verona, 2014. "Investment Dynamics with Information Costs," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 46(8), pages 1627-1656, December.
- Verona, Fabio, 2013. "Investment dynamics with information costs," Research Discussion Papers 18/2013, Bank of Finland.
- Oliver Volckart, 2006. "The Influence of Information Costs on the Integration of Financial Markets: Northern Europe, 1350-1560," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2006-049, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Solnik, Bruno H., 1974. "An equilibrium model of the international capital market," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 500-524, August.
- Iamsiraroj, Sasi & Ulubaşoğlu, Mehmet Ali, 2015. "Foreign direct investment and economic growth: A real relationship or wishful thinking?," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 51(C), pages 200-213.
- Sasi Iamsiraroj & Mehmet Ali Ulubasoglu, 2010. "Foreign Direct Investment and Economic Growth: a Real Relationship or Wishful Thinking?," Economics Series 2010_14, Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance.
- Mondher Bellalah & Zhen Wu, 2009. "A simple model of corporate international investment under incomplete information and taxes," Annals of Operations Research, Springer, vol. 165(1), pages 123-143, January.
- Azman-Saini, W.N.W. & Baharumshah, Ahmad Zubaidi & Law, Siong Hook, 2010. "Foreign direct investment, economic freedom and economic growth: International evidence," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 1079-1089, September.
- Black, Fischer, 1974. "International capital market equilibrium with investment barriers," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(4), pages 337-352, December.
- Ahearne, Alan G. & Griever, William L. & Warnock, Francis E., 2004. "Information costs and home bias: an analysis of US holdings of foreign equities," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 313-336, March.
- Alan G. Ahearne & William L. Griever & Francis E. Warnock, 2000. "Information costs and home bias: an analysis of U.S. holdings of foreign equities," International Finance Discussion Papers 691, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Canfei He, 2002. "Information costs, agglomeration economies and the location of foreign direct investment in China1," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1029-1036.
- Jongmooo Jay Choi, 1989. "Diversification, Exchange Risks and Corporate International Investment," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 20(1), pages 145-155, March.
- Wei, Xuan & Thornsbury, Suzanne, 2012. "Firm level export decisions: The role of information cost," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 116(3), pages 487-490.
- Wu, Chunchi & Li, Qiang & Weii, K C John, 1996. "Incomplete-Information Capital Market Equilibrium with Heterogeneous Expectations and Short Sale Restrictions," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 7(2), pages 119-136, September.
- Stulz, Rene M, 1981. "On the Effects of Barriers to International Investment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 36(4), pages 923-934, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)