Political knowledge, attitudes and values among Palestinian and Jewish youth in Israel: The role of nationality, gender and religiosity
This study explored political attitudes, awareness and values among 1753 Israeli-Jewish and Israeli-Palestinian adolescents aged 15 to 17 from different localities. The findings show that Palestinian adolescents reported more trust in the political system, were more aware and had a more formulated opinion of the political system than their Jewish colleagues. In addition, it was found that more religious adolescents showed more political awareness and involvement. In general, gender gaps in political participation measures were larger among Arab adolescents compared with Jewish adolescents. The researchers suggest that some of the findings can be explained by the potential role of participation in political activities by minority adolescents in the development of adolescents' political perception and attitudes.
Volume (Year): 34 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/childyouth|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard M.S. van Praag & Dmitri Romanov & Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell, 2010.
"Happiness and Financial Satisfaction in Israel. Effects of Religiosity , Ethnicity, and War,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
10-095/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Van Praag, Bernard M.S. & Romanov, Dmitri & Ferrer-i-Carbonell, Ada, 2010. "Happiness and financial satisfaction in Israel: Effects of religiosity, ethnicity, and war," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 1008-1020, December.
- van Praag, Bernard M. S. & Romanov, Dmitri & Ferrer-i-Carbonell, Ada, 2010. "Happiness and Financial Satisfaction in Israel: Effects of Religiosity, Ethnicity, and War," IZA Discussion Papers 5184, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bernard M.S. Van Praag & Dmitri Romanov & Ada Ferrer-i-Carbonell, 2010. "Happiness and Financial Satisfaction in Israel. Effects of Religiosity, Ethnicity, and War," CESifo Working Paper Series 3181, CESifo Group Munich.
- Khoury-Kassabri, Mona & Ben-Arieh, Asher, 2009. "School climate and children's views of their rights: A multi-cultural perspective among Jewish and Arab adolescents," Children and Youth Services Review, Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 97-103, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:cysrev:v:34:y:2012:i:4:p:704-712. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.