Bayesian nonparametric k-sample tests for censored and uncensored data
Polya tree priors are random probability distributions that are easily centered at standard parametric families, such as the normal. As such, they provide a convenient avenue toward creating a parametric/nonparametric test statistic “blend” for the classic problem of testing whether data distributions are the same across several subpopulations. Test-statistics that are (empirical) Bayes factors constructed from independent Polya tree priors are proposed. The Polya tree centering distributions are Gaussian with parameters estimated from the data and the p-values are obtained through the permutation of group membership indicators. Generalizations to censored and multivariate data are provided. The conceptually simple test statistic fares surprisingly well against competitors in simulations.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Martínez-Camblor, Pablo & de Uña-Álvarez, Jacobo, 2009. "Non-parametric k-sample tests: Density functions vs distribution functions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 53(9), pages 3344-3357, July.
- Timothy E. Hanson & Athanasios Kottas & Adam J. Branscum, 2008. "Modelling stochastic order in the analysis of receiver operating characteristic data: Bayesian non-parametric approaches," Journal of the Royal Statistical Society Series C, Royal Statistical Society, vol. 57(2), pages 207-225.
- Bharath, Karthik & Dey, Dipak K., 2011. "Test to distinguish a Brownian motion from a Brownian bridge using Polya tree process," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 140-145, January.
- Hanson, Timothy E., 2006. "Inference for Mixtures of Finite Polya Tree Models," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 101, pages 1548-1565, December.
- Hanson T. & Johnson W.O., 2002. "Modeling Regression Error With a Mixture of Polya Trees," Journal of the American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 97, pages 1020-1033, December.
- Michael P. Fay & Pamela A. Shaw, . "Exact and Asymptotic Weighted Logrank Tests for Interval Censored Data: The interval R Package," Journal of Statistical Software, American Statistical Association, vol. 36(i02).
- Zhang, Jin & Wu, Yuehua, 2007. "k-Sample tests based on the likelihood ratio," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 51(9), pages 4682-4691, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:71:y:2014:i:c:p:335-346. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.