Assessing model adequacy in possibly misspecified quantile regression
Possibly misspecified linear quantile regression models are considered. A measure for assessing the combined effect of several covariates on a certain conditional quantile function is proposed. The measure is based on an adaptation to quantile regression of the famous coefficient of determination originally proposed for mean regression, and compares a ‘reduced’ model to a ‘full’ model, both of which can be misspecified. An estimator of this measure is proposed and its asymptotic distribution is investigated both in the non-degenerate and the degenerate case. The finite sample performance of the estimator is studied through a number of simulation experiments. The proposed measure is also applied to a data set on body fat measures.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joshua Angrist & Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val, 2004.
"Quantile Regression under Misspecification, with an Application to the U.S. Wage Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
10428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Angrist & Victor Chernozhukov & Iván Fernández-Val, 2006. "Quantile Regression under Misspecification, with an Application to the U.S. Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(2), pages 539-563, 03.
- McKean, Joseph W. & Sievers, Gerald L., 1987. "Coefficients of determination for least absolute deviation analysis," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 49-54, January.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
- Holger Dette & Axel Munk, 2003. "Some Methodological Aspects of Validation of Models in Nonparametric Regression," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 57(2), pages 207-244.
- Kani Chen & Zhiliang Ying & Hong Zhang & Lincheng Zhao, 2008. "Analysis of least absolute deviation," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 95(1), pages 107-122.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:57:y:2013:i:1:p:558-569. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.