Assessing model adequacy in possibly misspecified quantile regression
Possibly misspecified linear quantile regression models are considered. A measure for assessing the combined effect of several covariates on a certain conditional quantile function is proposed. The measure is based on an adaptation to quantile regression of the famous coefficient of determination originally proposed for mean regression, and compares a ‘reduced’ model to a ‘full’ model, both of which can be misspecified. An estimator of this measure is proposed and its asymptotic distribution is investigated both in the non-degenerate and the degenerate case. The finite sample performance of the estimator is studied through a number of simulation experiments. The proposed measure is also applied to a data set on body fat measures.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holger Dette & Axel Munk, 2003. "Some Methodological Aspects of Validation of Models in Nonparametric Regression," Statistica Neerlandica, Netherlands Society for Statistics and Operations Research, vol. 57(2), pages 207-244.
- McKean, Joseph W. & Sievers, Gerald L., 1987. "Coefficients of determination for least absolute deviation analysis," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 49-54, January.
- Kani Chen & Zhiliang Ying & Hong Zhang & Lincheng Zhao, 2008. "Analysis of least absolute deviation," Biometrika, Biometrika Trust, vol. 95(1), pages 107-122.
- Joshua Angrist & Victor Chernozhukov & Ivan Fernandez-Val, 2004.
"Quantile Regression under Misspecification, with an Application to the U.S. Wage Structure,"
NBER Working Papers
10428, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joshua Angrist & Victor Chernozhukov & Iván Fernández-Val, 2006. "Quantile Regression under Misspecification, with an Application to the U.S. Wage Structure," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 74(2), pages 539-563, 03.
- Koenker, Roger W & Bassett, Gilbert, Jr, 1978. "Regression Quantiles," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(1), pages 33-50, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:57:y:2013:i:1:p:558-569. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.