Generalized method of moments estimation for cointegrated vector autoregressive models
In this study, a generalized method of moments (GMM) for the estimation of nonstationary vector autoregressive models with cointegration is considered. Two iterative methods are considered: a simultaneous estimation method and a switching estimation method. The asymptotic properties of the GMM estimators of these methods are found to be the same as those of the Gaussian reduced-rank estimator. Through Monte Carlo simulation, the small-sample properties of the GMM estimators are studied and compared with those of the Gaussian reduced-rank estimator and the maximum likelihood estimator considered by other researchers. In the case of small samples, the GMM estimators are more robust to deviations from normality assumptions, particularly to outliers.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1054, July.
- Ralf Brüggemann & Helmut Lütkepohl, 2005.
"Practical Problems with Reduced-rank ML Estimators for Cointegration Parameters and a Simple Alternative,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 67(5), pages 673-690, October.
- Ralf BRUEGGEMANN & Helmut LUETKEPOHL, 2004. "Practical Problems with Reduced Rank ML Estimators for Cointegration Parameters and a Simple Alternative," Economics Working Papers ECO2004/20, European University Institute.
- Kitamura, Yuichi & Phillips, Peter C. B., 1997. "Fully modified IV, GIVE and GMM estimation with possibly non-stationary regressors and instruments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 85-123, September.
- Yuichi Kitamura & Peter C.B. Phillips, 1994. "Fully Modified IV, GIVE and GMM Estimation with Possibly Non-Stationary Regressions and Instruments," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 1082, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Ahn, Sung K. & Reinsel, Gregory C., 1994. "Estimation of partially nonstationary vector autoregressive models with seasonal behavior," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 317-350, June.
- Quintos, Carmela E., 1998. "Analysis of cointegration vectors using the GMM approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1), pages 155-188, July.
- Kim, In-Moo & Park, Joon Y., 2005. "Iterative Maximum Likelihood Estimation of Cointegrating Vectors," Working Papers 2005-02, Rice University, Department of Economics.
- Bossaerts, Peter, 1988. "Common nonstationary components of asset prices," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 347-364.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-1580, November.
- Gonzalo, Jesus, 1994. "Five alternative methods of estimating long-run equilibrium relationships," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 60(1-2), pages 203-233.
- Johansen, Soren, 1988. "Statistical analysis of cointegration vectors," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 12(2-3), pages 231-254.
- Juselius, Katarina, 2006. "The Cointegrated VAR Model: Methodology and Applications," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199285679, April.
- Stock, James H, 1987. "Asymptotic Properties of Least Squares Estimators of Cointegrating Vectors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(5), pages 1035-1056, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:csdana:v:55:y:2011:i:9:p:2605-2618. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.