Is corporate governance risk valued? Evidence from directors' and officers' insurance
We find that common equity firms pay lower D&O insurance premiums than income trusts, an alternative and riskier ownership form. This result has wide-ranging implications for investors insofar as the information provided by D&O insurers provides investors with an unbiased signal of the firm's governance risk. The signal is unbiased because it comes from an entity (i.e. the insurer) that has a direct financial incentive to correctly assess an organization's governance risk, in contrast to other ad hoc governance measures and indices.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bebchuk, Lucian A. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2009.
"The State of Corporate Governance Research,"
Working Paper Series
2009-21, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Lucian A. Bebchuk & Michael S. Weisbach, 2010. "The State of Corporate Governance Research," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 23(3), pages 939-961, March.
- Lucian A. Bebchuk & Michael S. Weisbach, 2010. "The State of Corporate Governance Research," NBER Chapters, in: Corporate Governance National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brickley, James A. & Coles, Jeffrey L. & Jarrell, Gregg, 1997. "Leadership structure: Separating the CEO and Chairman of the Board," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 3(3), pages 189-220, June.
- Heckman, James, 2013.
"Sample selection bias as a specification error,"
Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 31(3), pages 129-137.
- Holderness, Clifford G., 1990. "Liability insurers as corporate monitors," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 10(2), pages 115-129, September.
- Core, John E, 2000. "The Directors' and Officers' Insurance Premium: An Outside Assessment of the Quality of Corporate Governance," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 16(2), pages 449-77, October.
- Renée Adams & Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2008.
"The Role of Boards of Directors in Corporate Governance: A Conceptual Framework and Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
14486, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Renee B. Adams & Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2010. "The Role of Boards of Directors in Corporate Governance: A Conceptual Framework and Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 48(1), pages 58-107, March.
- Adams, Renee & Hermalin, Benjamin E. & Weisbach, Michael S., 2009. "The Role of Boards of Directors in Corporate Governance: A Conceptual Framework and Survey," Working Paper Series 2008-21, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- James S. Linck & Jeffry M. Netter & Tina Yang, 2009. "The Effects and Unintended Consequences of the Sarbanes-Oxley Act on the Supply and Demand for Directors," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(8), pages 3287-3328, August.
- Bhagat, Sanjai & Bolton, Brian, 2008. "Corporate governance and firm performance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 257-273, June.
- McTier, Brian C. & Wald, John K., 2011. "The causes and consequences of securities class action litigation," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 649-665, June.
- John M. R. Chalmers & Larry Y. Dann & Jarrad Harford, 2002. "Managerial Opportunism? Evidence from Directors' and Officers' Insurance Purchases," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(2), pages 609-636, 04.
- Ritter, Jay R., 1987. "The costs of going public," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 269-281, December.
- Boyer, Martin, 2014.
"Directors’ and officers’ insurance and shareholder protection,"
Journal of Financial Perspectives,
EY Global FS Institute, vol. 2(1), pages 107-128.
- M. Martin Boyer, 2003. "Directors' and Officers' Insurance and Shareholders' Protection," CIRANO Working Papers 2003s-64, CIRANO.
- Lucian Bebchuk & Alma Cohen & Allen Ferrell, 2009. "What Matters in Corporate Governance?," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 22(2), pages 783-827, February.
- Michael R. King, 2003. "Income Trusts--Understanding the Issues," Working Papers 03-25, Bank of Canada.
- Bradley, Michael & Chen, Dong, 2011. "Corporate governance and the cost of debt: Evidence from director limited liability and indemnification provisions," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 83-107, February.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1987. "Efficient estimation of limited dependent variable models with endogenous explanatory variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 231-250, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:corfin:v:18:y:2012:i:2:p:349-372. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.