Evaluating mutual fund performance in an emerging Asian economy: The Malaysian experience
This paper examines the performance of 311 mutual funds from January 1990 to December 2005 in Malaysia by using composite portfolio performance measures, the single market model, the Fama and French three-factor model, and the Carhart four-factor model across investment horizons. Overall, we have found evidence that mutual fund performances yield superior returns with relatively lower systematic risks. A 3-year investment appears to be the preferred investment horizon with the highest annualized returns of 9.23%. The results of the single market model, the Fama-French three-factor model, and the Carhart four-factor model have all indicated that beta, size, book-to-market value, and momentum factors are significant factors in explaining equity fund returns with the Carhart four-factor model being the relatively better model among the three. The beta factor has demonstrated the highest coefficient and significance. The results further indicate that the average equity funds in Malaysia hold smaller market capitalization stocks and value oriented stocks, as well as buying past-winning and selling past-losing stocks.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F., 1986. "Term premiums and default premiums in money markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 175-196, September.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Fikriyah Abdullah & Taufiq Hassan & Shamsher Mohamad, 2007. "Investigation of performance of Malaysian Islamic unit trust funds: Comparison with conventional unit trust funds," Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 33(2), pages 142-153.
- S.P. Kothari, 2001. "Evaluating Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(5), pages 1985-2010, October.
- Rogér Otten & Dennis Bams, 2004. "How to measure mutual fund performance: economic versus statistical relevance," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 44(2), pages 203-222.
- Martin J. Gruber, 2001. "Identifying the Risk Structure of Mutual Fund Returns," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 7(2), pages 147-159.
- Jonathan Fletcher & David N. Forbes, 2004. "Performance Evaluation Of U.K. Unit Trusts Within The Stochastic Discount Factor Framework," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 27(2), pages 289-306.
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Reuben A. Kessel, 1965. "The Cyclical Behavior of the Term Structure of Interest Rates," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number kess65-1.
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, 05.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Titman, Sheridan, 1993. " Returns to Buying Winners and Selling Losers: Implications for Stock Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 65-91, March.
- Roger Otten & Dennis Bams, 2002. "European Mutual Fund Performance," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 8(1), pages 75-101.
- Cumby, Robert E & Glen, Jack D, 1990. " Evaluating the Performance of International Mutual Funds," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(2), pages 497-521, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:asieco:v:21:y:2010:i:4:p:378-390. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.