The performance of mutual funds on French stock market:Do star funds’ managers exist or do funds have to hire chimpanzees?
We test here the kahneman (kahneman 2011) results about fund managers: that is, do managers are really skilled or could any chimpanzee do the job? Moreover, the recent stormy period should enlighten us about the interest to invest in mutual funds: do they over perform the market? Do they smooth the losses? Do they have well managed the alternative bearish and bullish periods of the markets? Few recent studies focus on the French Stock market. In this paper, we investigate the performance, persistence and behavior of mutual funds only investing in the Paris stock exchange market from 2000 to 2012. We find that funds clearly over-perform the market on average but only on a 60 months investment horizon. Average annual excess is close to zero (+0.3%) for funds which were active over all the period. Yet, some have salient good (bad) relative performances. The challenge is then to distinguish skill from luck since funds can have extreme returns by luck. Our approach is to test for persistence in fund returns, that is, whether past winners continue to produce high returns and losers continue to underperform. Then, we apply the Carhart 1997 4-factors model, in order to evaluate the weight of the systematic drivers of the performance.
|Date of creation:||10 May 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Ludwigstraße 33, D-80539 Munich, Germany|
Web page: https://mpra.ub.uni-muenchen.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael C. Jensen, 1968. "The Performance Of Mutual Funds In The Period 1945–1964," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 23(2), pages 389-416, May.
- Roger Otten & Dennis Bams, 2002. "European Mutual Fund Performance," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 8(1), pages 75-101.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Eugene F. Fama & Kenneth R. French, 2010. "Luck versus Skill in the Cross-Section of Mutual Fund Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 65(5), pages 1915-1947, October.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Titman, Sheridan, 1993. " Returns to Buying Winners and Selling Losers: Implications for Stock Market Efficiency," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(1), pages 65-91, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pra:mprapa:46896. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Joachim Winter)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.