An Evaluation of Mutual Fund Performance in an Emerging Economy: The Case of Pakistan
This article examines the performance of Pakistan’s mutual fund industry during 2006–10, a period characterized both by bullish and bearish markets. An analysis of fund types reveals that Islamic funds have shown strong growth in spite of their lackluster performance compared to conventional funds. Income funds appear to have suffered as a consequence of the underdeveloped bond market, and very high t-bill rates have resulted in negative excess returns during the period. For stock funds, market indices and size are significant factors that indicate a preference for large-cap stocks of managers. With consistently negative or insignificant alphas, no fund manages to outperform the market.
Volume (Year): 16 (2011)
Issue (Month): Special Edition (September)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (92-42) 6560939
Web page: http://www.lahoreschoolofeconomics.edu.pk/EconomicsJournal/LJEIntro.aspx
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fama, Eugene F. & French, Kenneth R., 1993. "Common risk factors in the returns on stocks and bonds," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 3-56, February.
- Cesari, Riccardo & Panetta, Fabio, 2002. "The performance of Italian equity funds," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 99-126, January.
- Cuthbertson, Keith & Nitzsche, Dirk & O'Sullivan, Niall, 2008. "UK mutual fund performance: Skill or luck?," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 613-634, September.
- Klapper, Leora & Sulla, Victor & Vittas, Dimitri, 2004. "The development of mutual funds around the world," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 1-38, March.
- Carhart, Mark M, 1997. " On Persistence in Mutual Fund Performance," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(1), pages 57-82, March.
- Rogér Otten & Dennis Bams, 2004. "How to measure mutual fund performance: economic versus statistical relevance," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 44(2), pages 203-222.
- Huij, Joop & Post, Thierry, 2011. "On the performance of emerging market equity mutual funds," Emerging Markets Review, Elsevier, vol. 12(3), pages 238-249, September.
- S. M. Aamir Shah & Syed Tahir Hijazi, 2005. "Performance Evaluation of Mutual Funds in Pakistan," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 44(4), pages 863-876.
- Lai, Ming-Ming & Lau, Siok-Hwa, 2010. "Evaluating mutual fund performance in an emerging Asian economy: The Malaysian experience," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 378-390, August.
- Mark M. Carhart & Jennifer N. Carpenter & Anthony W. Lynch & David K. Musto, 2002. "Mutual Fund Survivorship," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 15(5), pages 1439-1463.
- Bialkowski, Jedrzej & Otten, Roger, 2011. "Emerging market mutual fund performance: Evidence for Poland," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 118-130, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:lje:journl:v:16:y:2011:i:sp:p:301-316. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shahid Salahuddin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.