Performance Evaluation of Mutual Funds in Pakistan
This paper presents an overview of the Pakistani mutual fund industry and also evaluates mutual fund performance using a survivorship bias controlled sample of funds. By the end of financial year 2004, 112 billion rupees were invested in mutual funds. The main purpose of this study is to examine the risk and return characteristics of Pakistan equity mutual funds and balanced funds. Risk-adjusted performance is evaluated using three evaluation techniques, i.e., Sharpe Ratio, Treynor Ratio, and Jensen differential measure. The overall results suggest that mutual funds in Pakistan are able to add value as indicated by their positive after-cost alphas. Our results are similar to the results of studies carried out on European mutual funds performance. However, our results deviate from most United States studies wherein it is investigated and stated that mutual funds under-perform the market by the amount of expenses they charge.
Volume (Year): 44 (2005)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O.Box 1091, Islamabad-44000|
Web page: http://www.pide.org.pk
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Roger Otten & Dennis Bams, 2002. "European Mutual Fund Performance," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 8(1), pages 75-101.
- David Blake & Allan Timmermann, 1998. "Mutual Fund Performance: Evidence from the UK," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 2(1), pages 57-77.
- William F. Sharpe, 1965. "Mutual Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 119-119.
- Rogér Otten & Dennis Bams, 2004. "How to measure mutual fund performance: economic versus statistical relevance," Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Finance Association of Australia and New Zealand, vol. 44(2), pages 203-222.
- Elton, Edwin J & Gruber, Martin J & Blake, Christopher R, 1996. "The Persistence of Risk-Adjusted Mutual Fund Performance," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 69(2), pages 133-157, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:pid:journl:v:44:y:2005:i:4:p:863-876. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Khurram Iqbal)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.