Soil water management practices (terraces) helped to mitigate the 2015 drought in Ethiopia
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra E. Todd, 1997. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator: Evidence from Evaluating a Job Training Programme," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(4), pages 605-654.
- Amsalu, Aklilu & de Graaff, Jan, 2007. "Determinants of adoption and continued use of stone terraces for soil and water conservation in an Ethiopian highland watershed," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 61(2-3), pages 294-302, March.
- Edward Kato & Claudia Ringler & Mahmud Yesuf & Elizabeth Bryan, 2011.
"Soil and water conservation technologies: a buffer against production risk in the face of climate change? Insights from the Nile basin in Ethiopia,"
Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 42(5), pages 593-604, September.
- Kato, Edward & Ringler, Claudia & Yesuf, Mahmud & Bryan, Elizabeth, 2009. "Soil and water conservation technologies: A buffer against production risk in the face of climate change?: Insights from the Nile Basin in Ethiopia," IFPRI discussion papers 871, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Shiferaw, Bekele & Holden, Stein T., 2001. "Farm-level benefits to investments for mitigating land degradation: empirical evidence from Ethiopia," Environment and Development Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(3), pages 335-358, July.
- Sekhon, Jasjeet S., 2011. "Multivariate and Propensity Score Matching Software with Automated Balance Optimization: The Matching package for R," Journal of Statistical Software, Foundation for Open Access Statistics, vol. 42(i07).
- Raes, D. & Kafiriti, E.M. & Wellens, J. & Deckers, J. & Maertens, A. & Mugogo, S. & Dondeyne, S. & Descheemaeker, K., 2007. "Can soil bunds increase the production of rain-fed lowland rice in south eastern Tanzania?," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 89(3), pages 229-235, May.
- Adgo, Enyew & Teshome, Akalu & Mati, Bancy, 2013. "Impacts of long-term soil and water conservation on agricultural productivity: The case of Anjenie watershed, Ethiopia," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 117(C), pages 55-61.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gebremedn Tesfaye & Tena Alamirew & Asfaw Kebede & Gete Zeleke, 2018. "Institutional Functionality in Participatory Integrated Watershed Development of Tana Sub-Basin, Ethiopia," Land, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 7(4), pages 1-17, November.
- Meron Tadesse & Belay Simane & Wuletawu Abera & Lulseged Tamene & Gebermedihin Ambaw & John W. Recha & Kindu Mekonnen & Getamesay Demeke & Abebe Nigussie & Dawit Solomon, 2021. "The Effect of Climate-Smart Agriculture on Soil Fertility, Crop Yield, and Soil Carbon in Southern Ethiopia," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 13(8), pages 1-11, April.
- Chen, Die & Wei, Wei & Chen, Liding, 2020. "How can terracing impact on soil moisture variation in China? A meta-analysis," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 227(C).
- Lun Yang & Moucheng Liu & Fei Lun & Qingwen Min & Canqiang Zhang & Heyao Li, 2018. "Livelihood Assets and Strategies among Rural Households: Comparative Analysis of Rice and Dryland Terrace Systems in China," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 10(7), pages 1-18, July.
- Daniel El Chami & André Daccache & Maroun El Moujabber, 2020. "How Can Sustainable Agriculture Increase Climate Resilience? A Systematic Review," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 12(8), pages 1-23, April.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Wolka, Kebede & Mulder, Jan & Biazin, Birhanu, 2018. "Effects of soil and water conservation techniques on crop yield, runoff and soil loss in Sub-Saharan Africa: A review," Agricultural Water Management, Elsevier, vol. 207(C), pages 67-79.
- Wolka, Kebede & Sterk, Geert & Biazin, Birhanu & Negash, Mesele, 2018. "Benefits, limitations and sustainability of soil and water conservation structures in Omo-Gibe basin, Southwest Ethiopia," Land Use Policy, Elsevier, vol. 73(C), pages 1-10.
- Issahaku, Gazali & Abdulai, Awudu, "undated". "Adaptation to Climate Change and its influence on Household Welfare in Ghana," 2017 Annual Meeting, July 30-August 1, Chicago, Illinois 259938, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Wang-Sheng Lee, 2013. "Propensity score matching and variations on the balancing test," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 47-80, February.
- Getnet, Kindie & MacAlister, Charlotte, 2012. "Integrated innovations and recommendation domains: Paradigm for developing, scaling-out, and targeting rainwater management innovations," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 76(C), pages 34-41.
- Wichman, Casey J. & Ferraro, Paul J., 2017. "A cautionary tale on using panel data estimators to measure program impacts," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 151(C), pages 82-90.
- Devin Caughey & Sara Chatfield, 2020. "Causal inference and American political development: contrasts and complementarities," Public Choice, Springer, vol. 185(3), pages 359-376, December.
- Gebrehaweria Gebregziabher & Lisa-Maria Rebelo & Simon Langan, 2016. "Interdependence in rainwater management technologies: an analysis of rainwater management adoption in the Blue Nile Basin," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 449-466, April.
- Chesterman, Nathan S. & Entwistle, Julia & Chambers, Matthew C. & Liu, Hsiao-Chin & Agrawal, Arun & Brown, Daniel G., 2019. "The effects of trainings in soil and water conservation on farming practices, livelihoods, and land-use intensity in the Ethiopian highlands," Land Use Policy, Elsevier, vol. 87(C).
- Siddique Abu Bakkar, 2020. "Identity-based Earning Discrimination among Chinese People," IZA Journal of Development and Migration, Sciendo & Forschungsinstitut zur Zukunft der Arbeit GmbH (IZA), vol. 11(1), pages 1-42, January.
- Suresh Kumar & Dharam Raj Singh & Alka Singh & Naveen Prakash Singh & Girish Kumar Jha, 2020. "Does Adoption of Soil and Water Conservation Practice Enhance Productivity and Reduce Risk Exposure? Empirical Evidence from Semi-Arid Tropics (SAT), India," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 12(17), pages 1-16, August.
- Wendimu, Mengistu Assefa & Henningsen, Arne & Gibbon, Peter, 2016.
"Sugarcane Outgrowers in Ethiopia: “Forced” to Remain Poor?,"
World Development, Elsevier, vol. 83(C), pages 84-97.
- Mengistu Assefa Wendimu & Arne Henningsen & Peter Gibbon, 2015. "Sugarcane outgrowers in Ethiopia: ’Forced’ to remain poor?," IFRO Working Paper 2015/06, University of Copenhagen, Department of Food and Resource Economics.
- Ferraro, Paul J. & Miranda, Juan José, 2014. "The performance of non-experimental designs in the evaluation of environmental programs: A design-replication study using a large-scale randomized experiment as a benchmark," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 107(PA), pages 344-365.
- Modou Mar & Nadine Massard, 2019.
"Animate the cluster or subsidize collaborative R&D? A multiple overlapping treatments approach to assess the impact of the French cluster policy,"
- Mar, M. & Massard, N., 2019. "Animate the cluster or subsidize collaborative R&D? A multiple overlapping treatments approach to assess the impact of the French cluster policy," Working Papers 2019-03, Grenoble Applied Economics Laboratory (GAEL).
- Modou Mar & Nadine Massard, 2021. "Animate the cluster or subsidize collaborative R&D? A multiple overlapping treatments approach to assess the impacts of the French cluster policy," Post-Print hal-03222070, HAL.
- Alice Turinawe & Lars Drake & Johnny Mugisha, 2015. "Adoption intensity of soil and water conservation technologies: a case of South Western Uganda," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 17(4), pages 711-730, August.
- Alelgn Ewunetu & Belay Simane & Ermias Teferi & Benjamin F. Zaitchik, 2021. "Relationships and the Determinants of Sustainable Land Management Technologies in North Gojjam Sub-Basin, Upper Blue Nile, Ethiopia," Sustainability, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 13(11), pages 1-19, June.
- Zenebe Adimassu & Simon Langan & Robyn Johnston, 2016. "Understanding determinants of farmers’ investments in sustainable land management practices in Ethiopia: review and synthesis," Environment, Development and Sustainability: A Multidisciplinary Approach to the Theory and Practice of Sustainable Development, Springer, vol. 18(4), pages 1005-1023, August.
- Fontes, Francisco Pereira, 2020. "Soil and Water Conservation technology adoption and labour allocation: Evidence from Ethiopia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 127(C).
- Gebregziabher, Gebrehaweria & Rebelo, Lisa-Maria & Notenbaert, A. & Ergano, K. & Abebe, Yenenesh, 2013. "Determinants of adoption of rainwater management technologies among farm households in the Nile River Basin," IWMI Reports 201008, International Water Management Institute.
- Guirong Li & Jiajia Xu & Liying Li & Zhaolei Shi & Hongmei Yi & James Chu & Elena Kardanova & Yanyan Li & Prashant Loyalka & Scott Rozelle, 2020. "The Impacts of Highly Resourced Vocational Schools on Student Outcomes in China," China & World Economy, Institute of World Economics and Politics, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, vol. 28(6), pages 125-150, November.
More about this item
KeywordsSoil water management practices; Climate-smart agriculture; Terraces; Contour bunds; Drought; Propensity score matching; Ethiopia;
All these keywords.
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:agiwat:v:204:y:2018:i:c:p:11-16. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/agwat .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Catherine Liu (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/agwat .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.