Benford's law for audit of public works: an analysis of overpricing in MaracanÃ£ soccer arena's renovation
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Bernhard Rauch & Max Göttsche & Gernot Brähler & Stefan Engel, 2011. "Fact and Fiction in EU‐Governmental Economic Data," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 12(3), pages 243-255, August.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ricardo Sartori Cella & Ercilio Zanolla, 2018. "Benford’s Law and transparency: an analysis of municipal expenditure," Brazilian Business Review, Fucape Business School, vol. 15(4), pages 331-347, July.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Timothy C. Irwin, 2015. "Defining The Government'S Debt And Deficit," Journal of Economic Surveys, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(4), pages 711-732, September.
- Natasa Omerzu & Iztok Kolar, 2019. "Do the Financial Statements of Listed Companies on the Ljubljana Stock Exchange Pass the Benford’s Law Test?," International Business Research, Canadian Center of Science and Education, vol. 12(1), pages 54-64, January.
- El Mouaaouy Florian & Riepe Jan, 2018. "Benford and the Internal Capital Market: A Useful Indicator of Managerial Engagement," German Economic Review, De Gruyter, vol. 19(3), pages 309-329, August.
- Stenfors, Alexis, 2018.
"Bid-ask spread determination in the FX swap market: Competition, collusion or a convention?,"
Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 54(C), pages 78-97.
- Alexis Stenfors, 2017. "Bid-Ask Spread Determination in the FX Swap Market: Competition, Collusion or a Convention?," Working Papers in Economics & Finance 2017-03, University of Portsmouth, Portsmouth Business School, Economics and Finance Subject Group.
- Samà, Danilo, 2014. "Essays on economic analysis of competition law: theory and practice," MPRA Paper 103118, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Clippe, Paulette & Ausloos, Marcel, 2012.
"Benford’s law and Theil transform of financial data,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(24), pages 6556-6567.
- Paulette Clippe & Marcel Ausloos, 2012. "Benford's law and Theil transform of financial data," Papers 1208.5896, arXiv.org.
- Samà, Danilo, 2014.
"Cartel Detection and Collusion Screening: An Empirical Analysis of the London Metal Exchange,"
55363, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Samà, Danilo, 2016. "Cartel detection and collusion screening: an empirical analysis of the London Metal Exchange," MPRA Paper 103117, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Miranda-Zanetti, Maximilano & Delbianco, Fernando & Tohmé, Fernando, 2019. "Tampering with inflation data: A Benford law-based analysis of national statistics in Argentina," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 525(C), pages 761-770.
- Florian El Mouaaouy & Jan Riepe, 2018. "Benford and the Internal Capital Market: A Useful Indicator of Managerial Engagement," German Economic Review, Verein für Socialpolitik, vol. 19(3), pages 309-329, August.
- Cunjak Mataković Ivana, 2019. "The empirical analysis of financial reports of companies in Croatia: Benford distribution curve as a benchmark for first digits," Croatian Review of Economic, Business and Social Statistics, Sciendo, vol. 5(2), pages 90-100, December.
- Holz, Carsten A., 2014. "The quality of China's GDP statistics," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(C), pages 309-338.
- Montag, Josef, 2017. "Identifying odometer fraud in used car market data," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 60(C), pages 10-23.
- Wójcik, Michał Ryszard, 2014. "A characterization of Benford’s law through generalized scale-invariance," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 71(C), pages 1-5.
- Ausloos, Marcel & Ficcadenti, Valerio & Dhesi, Gurjeet & Shakeel, Muhammad, 2021.
"Benford’s laws tests on S&P500 daily closing values and the corresponding daily log-returns both point to huge non-conformity,"
Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 574(C).
- Marcel Ausloos & Valerio Ficcadenti & Gurjeet Dhesi & Muhammad Shakeel, 2021. "Benford's laws tests on S&P500 daily closing values and the corresponding daily log-returns both point to huge non-conformity," Papers 2104.07962, arXiv.org.
- T. Mir, 2016. "The leading digit distribution of the worldwide illicit financial flows," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 50(1), pages 271-281, January.
- Huang, Yasheng & Niu, Zhiyong & Yang, Clair, 2020. "Testing firm-level data quality in China against Benford’s Law," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 192(C).
- Koch, Christoffer & Okamura, Ken, 2020. "Benford’s Law and COVID-19 reporting," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 196(C).
- Montag, Josef, 2015. "Identifying Odometer Fraud: Evidence from the Used Car Market in the Czech Republic," MPRA Paper 65182, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kauko, Karlo, 2019. "Benford’s law and Chinese banks’ non-performing loans," BOFIT Discussion Papers 25/2019, Bank of Finland, Institute for Economies in Transition.
- Ausloos, Marcel & Cerqueti, Roy & Mir, Tariq A., 2017.
"Data science for assessing possible tax income manipulation: The case of Italy,"
Chaos, Solitons & Fractals, Elsevier, vol. 104(C), pages 238-256.
- Marcel Ausloos & Roy Cerqueti & Tariq A. Mir, 2017. "Data science for assessing possible tax income manipulation: The case of Italy," Papers 1709.02129, arXiv.org.
More about this item
KeywordsAudit. Public works. Newcomb-Benford's law. Overpricing.;
- C1 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General
- H8 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-14-00694. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: John P. Conley (email available below). General contact details of provider: .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.