Time Preference and Long-Run Growth: the Role of Patience Capital
This paper studies the relation between long-term economic growth and time preference of households in the context of a simple model of endogenous growth. We assume that the rate of time preference depends on the level of household's patience (stock of patience capital). It is assumed that the patience capital is accumulated by household's future-oriented investment and decumulated by consumption activities. The paper focuses on how the level of patience capital is determined in the balanced-growth equilibrium.
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Palivos, Theodore & Wang, Ping & Zhang, Jianbo, 1997. "On the Existence of Balanced Growth Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(1), pages 205-24, February.
- Cuong Le Van & Cagri Saglam & Selman Erol, 2011. "Existence, Optimality and Dynamics of Equilibria with Endogenous Time Preference," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00639731, HAL.
- Meng, Qinglai, 2006. "Impatience and equilibrium indeterminacy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 2671-2692, December.
- Michael Stern, 2006. "Endogenous time preference and optimal growth," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 29(1), pages 49-70, September.
- Strulik, Holger, 2012.
"Patience and prosperity,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 336-352.
- Yasuhiro Nakamoto, 2009. "Consumption externalities with endogenous time preference," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 96(1), pages 41-62, January.
- Becker, Gary S & Mulligan, Casey B, 1997. "The Endogenous Determination of Time Preference," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 112(3), pages 729-58, August.
- Cuong Le Van & Cagri Saglam & Selman Erol, 2011.
"Existence, Optimality and Dynamics of Equilibria with Endogenous Time Preference,"
04, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Erol, Selman & Le Van, Cuong & Saglam, Cagri, 2011. "Existence, optimality and dynamics of equilibria with endogenous time preference," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 170-179, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-12-00276. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.