Are the emerging bric stock markets efficient?
The study examines the weak form efficiency in stock returns for the economies of Brazil, Russia, India and China (BRIC), from January 2000 to December 2010. The study uses LM unit root test with one and two structural breaks as given by Lee and Strazicich (2003, 2004), along with the recently developed ADF type unit root test having two structural breaks as proposed by Narayan and Popp (2010). Subsequently, the BDS and K2k tests were used for checking the i.i.d properties of stock returns. We find the existence of unit root among the stock returns of the BRIC economies. However, these stock returns are not weak form market efficient as they do not follow the i.i.d property indicated by the K2k test that is also required for fulfillment of weak form efficiency (Rahman and Saadi, 2008).
Volume (Year): 32 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rahman, Abdul & Saadi, Samir, 2008. "Random walk and breaking trend in financial series: An econometric critique of unit root tests," Review of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 204-212, August.
- Vogelsang, Timothy J & Perron, Pierre, 1998.
"Additional Tests for a Unit Root Allowing for a Break in the Trend Function at an Unknown Time,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 39(4), pages 1073-1100, November.
- Vogelsang, T.J. & Perron, P., 1994. "Additional Tests for a Unit Root Allowing for a Break in the Trend Function at an Unknown Time," Cahiers de recherche 9422, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Vogelsang, T.J. & Perron, P., 1994. "Additional Tests for a Unit Root Allowing for a Break in the Trend Function at an Unknown Time," Cahiers de recherche 9422, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Barnett, William A. & Gallant, A. Ronald & Hinich, Melvin J. & Jungeilges, Jochen A. & Kaplan, Daniel T. & Jensen, Mark J., 1997.
"A single-blind controlled competition among tests for nonlinearity and chaos,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 82(1), pages 157-192.
- William Barnett & A. Ronald Gallant & Melvin J. Hinich & Jochen A. Jungeilges & Daniel T. Kaplan & Mark J. Jensen, 2012. "A Single-Blind Controlled Competition Among Tests For Nonlinearity And Chaos," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 201219, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Sep 2012.
- William A. Barnett & A. Ronald Gallant & Melvin J. Hinich & Jochen A. Jungeilges & Daniel T. Kaplan & Mark J. Jensen, 1996. "A Single-Blind Controlled Competition among Tests for Nonlinearity and Chaos," Econometrics 9602005, EconWPA, revised 20 Sep 1996.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-11-00369. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.