The European Unemployment Gap and the Role of Monetary Policy
This study will shed some light on the debate on the impact of monetary policy on the labour market in Europe. The Phillips curve implies that demand-induced changes in inflation tend to lag behind movements in the unemployment rate, which means that a comparison between the actual unemployment rate and the NAIRU may be helpful in forecasting future changes in inflation. By using an unobserved component model with a Kalman filter we estimate the NAIRU for three countries in the euro area. Moreover, using a Markov switching model we investigate whether European monetary policy is responsible for these unemployment gaps and whether the interest rate is transmitted asymmetrically across countries
Volume (Year): 30 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Favero Carlo A. & Milani Fabio, 2005.
"Parameter Instability, Model Uncertainty and the Choice of Monetary Policy,"
The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics,
De Gruyter, vol. 5(1), pages 1-33, February.
- Favero, Carlo A. & Milani, Fabio, 2005. "Parameter Instability, Model Uncertainty and the Choice of Monetary Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 4909, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thomas Laubach, 1997.
"Measuring the NAIRU : evidence from seven economies,"
Research Working Paper
97-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Thomas Laubach, 2001. "Measuring The NAIRU: Evidence From Seven Economies," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 83(2), pages 218-231, May.
- Laurence Boone & Claude Giorno & Mara Meacci & Dave Rae & Pete Richardson & Dave Turner, 2001. "Estimating the structural rate of unemployment for the OECD countries," OECD Economic Studies, OECD Publishing, vol. 2001(2), pages 171-216.
- Ramón María-Dolores, 2002.
"Asymmetries in the Cyclical Effects of Monetary Policy on Output: Some European Evidence,"
02-04, Asociación Española de Economía y Finanzas Internacionales.
- Ramon Maria-Dolores, . "Asymmetries in the Cyclical Effects of Monetary Policy on Output: Some European Evidence," Working Papers on International Economics and Finance 02-04, FEDEA.
- Jan Kakes & Sitikantha Pattanaik, 2000.
"The transmission of monetary shocks in the euro area: a V AR analysis based on euro-wide data,"
BNL Quarterly Review,
Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 53(213), pages 171-186.
- Jan Kakes & Sitikantha Pattanaik, 2000. "The transmission of monetary shocks in the euro area: a V AR analysis based on euro-wide data," Banca Nazionale del Lavoro Quarterly Review, Banca Nazionale del Lavoro, vol. 53(213), pages 171-186.
- Jan Kakes & Sitikantha Pattanaik, 2000. "The transmission of monetary shocks in the euro area: a VAR analysis based on euro-wide data," MEB Series (discontinued) 2000-2, Netherlands Central Bank, Monetary and Economic Policy Department.
- Zacharias Psaradakis & Nicola Spagnolo, 2002.
"On the Determination of the Number of Regimes in Markov-Switching Autoregressive Models,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2002
83, Society for Computational Economics.
- Zacharias Psaradakis & Nicola Spagnolo, 2003. "On The Determination Of The Number Of Regimes In Markov-Switching Autoregressive Models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 24(2), pages 237-252, 03.
- Peersman, Gert & Smets, Frank, 2001. "The monetary transmission mechanism in the euro area: more evidence from VAR analysis," Working Paper Series 0091, European Central Bank.
- Nicoletta Batini & Jennifer V. Greenslade, 2006.
"Measuring the UK short-run NAIRU,"
Oxford Economic Papers,
Oxford University Press, vol. 58(1), pages 28-49, January.
- Crosby, M. & Olekalns, N., 1997.
"Inflation, Unemployment and the Nairu in Australia,"
Department of Economics - Working Papers Series
543, The University of Melbourne.
- Mark Crosby & Nilss Olekalns, 1998. "Inflation, Unemployment and the NAIRU in Australia," Australian Economic Review, The University of Melbourne, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, vol. 31(2), pages 117-129.
- Grosby, M. & Olekalns, N., 1996. "Inflation, Unemployment and the NAIRU in Australia," Papers 96/31, New South Wales - School of Economics.
- Hamilton, James D, 1989. "A New Approach to the Economic Analysis of Nonstationary Time Series and the Business Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 57(2), pages 357-84, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ebl:ecbull:eb-10-00012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (John P. Conley)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.