The Cultural Capital of Immigrant Families and The Impact on Student Performance: Evidence from Germany
The aim of this paper is twofold. It intends to examine to what extent the school performance of immigrant students depends on their cultural background as well as to explain the link between the intergenerational transfer of cultural capital and the educational achievement. Using PISA data 2003 for Germany we examine the validity of cultural reproduction and cultural mobility theories in the case of immigrant students. We show that the education of parents has a higher positive impact on the student performance only in the case of German students. Parental education has no effect on school achievement of immigrants, unless the mother has a low level of education. The educational resources influence to a greater extent the school performance of immigrants. The possession of cultural resources is a strong predictor for educational achievement only for German students
Volume (Year): 11 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ira N. Gang & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 1999.
"Is Child Like Parent? Educational Attainment and Ethnic Origin,"
Departmental Working Papers
199614, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Ira N. Gang & Klaus F. Zimmermann, 2000. "Is Child like Parent? Educational Attainment and Ethnic Origin," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 35(3), pages 550-569.
- Gang, Ira N. & Zimmermann, Klaus F., 1999. "Is Child like Parent? Educational Attainment and Ethnic Origin," IZA Discussion Papers 57, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Gang, Ira & Zimmermann, Klaus F, 1996. "Is Child Like Parent? Educational Attainment and Ethnic Origin," CEPR Discussion Papers 1461, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Guiso, Luigi & Sapienza, Paola & Zingales, Luigi, 2006.
"Does Culture Affect Economic Outcomes?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
5505, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:eerese:v:11:y2011:i:2_6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.