Entrepreneurship And Economic Growth In Spanish And Portuguese Regions
This paper seeks to examine the relationship between entrepreneurship and economic growth at a regional level in Spanish and Portuguese NUTS II. Our panel model is based on the idea by Audrestsch et al (2006), Koo and Kim (2009), and other authors, about the importance of adding economically useful local knowledge variables to the classical model of economic growth, that only included labor and capital. Theses variables are: research and development, human capital, entrepreneurship and social capita. We built two different measurements for entrepreneurship : the ratio of companies created over the total in each region for the years of study, and a cross-section measurement that can be considered as an indicator of survival. These measurements do not offer similar results, which shows the importance of achieving a good measure of entrepreneurship, one ideally combining many different aspects. We find a positive effect of the entrepreneurship variable on GDP growth, in per capita terms and in absolute values
Volume (Year): 10 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/eaa.htm|
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.usc.es/economet/info.htm Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andres Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo regstdcenzi, 2008.
"Research and Development, Spillovers, Innovation Systems, and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 51-67.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2008. "Research and development, spillovers, innovation systems, and the genesis of regional growth in Europe," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 23326, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999. "Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development," NBER Working Papers 6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- André Stel & Martin Carree & Roy Thurik, 2005. "The Effect of Entrepreneurial Activity on National Economic Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 24(3), pages 311-321, 02.
- Andre van Stel & David Storey & Roy Thurik & Sander Wennekers, 2005. "From nascent to actual entrepreneurship: the effect of entry barriers," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2005-35, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Sander Wennekers & David Storey, 2006. "From nascent to actual entrepreneurship: the effect of entry barriers," Scales Research Reports N200508, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- A. Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2006. "R&D, spillovers, innovatoin systems and the genesis of regional growth in Europe," Departmental Working Papers of Economics - University 'Roma Tre' 0067, Department of Economics - University Roma Tre.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2006. "R&D, Spillovers, Innovation Systems and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe," Bruges European Economic Research Papers 5, European Economic Studies Department, College of Europe.
- Andres Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2006. "R&D, Spillovers, Innovation Systems and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe," ERSA conference papers ersa06p371, European Regional Science Association.
- Elvira Vieira & Isabel Neira & Emília Vázquez, 2011. "Productivity And Innovation Economy: Comparative Analysis Of European Nuts Ii, 1995--2004," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(9), pages 1269-1286, March.
- Michael Fritsch & Pamela Mueller, 2004. "Effects of New Business Formation on Regional Development over Time," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 961-975.
- GUISAN, Carmen & Neira, Isabel, 2006. "Direct and Indirect Effects of Human Capital on World Development, 1960-2004," Applied Econometrics and International Development, Euro-American Association of Economic Development, vol. 6(1), pages 17-34.
- Marcus DEJARDIN, 2001. "Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth: An Obvious Conjunction?," Development and Comp Systems 0110010, EconWPA.
- Andre van Stel & Martin Carree & Roy Thurik, 2004. "The effect of entrepreneurship on national economic growth: an analysis using the GEM database," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-34, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eaa:eerese:v:10:y2010:i:2_8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.