An Empirical Examination of the Relationship between Capital Structure and the Financial Performance of Firms in Nigeria
This paper basically investigates the relationship between capital structure and the financial performance of listed firms in Nigeria. The study considered a total sample of 31 listed firms on the floor of the Nigerian stock exchange. The annual reports for the period 2005-2009 were analyzed using the Ordinary Least Squares (OLS) technique of model estimation to test the research propositions stated in this study. The study observed that two of the explanatory variables in this study (i.e. short-term debt and shareholders’ funds) have a significant positive impact on the financial performance of listed firms in Nigeria. In addition, the study observed that long-term debt has a significant negative impact on the financial performance of firms. To this end the study concludes that employing high proportion of long-term debt in firms’ capital structure will invariably result in a low financial performance of a firm.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jensen, Michael C, 1988. "Takeovers: Their Causes and Consequences," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(1), pages 21-48, Winter.
- John K. Wald, 1999. "How Firm Characteristics Affect Capital Structure: An International Comparison," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(2), pages 161-187, 06.
- Wald, John K, 1999. "How Firm Characteristics Affect Capital Structure: An International Comparison," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(2), pages 161-187, Summer.
- Joshua Abor, 2007. "Debt policy and performance of SMEs," Journal of Risk Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 8(4), pages 364-379, October.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Booth, L. & Asli Demirgu-Kunt, V.A. & Maksimovic, V., 1999.
"Capital Structure in Developing Countries,"
Rotman School of Management - Finance
00-001, Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- repec:eme:jrfpps:v:6:y:2005:i:5:p:438-445 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jensen, Michael C. & Ruback, Richard S., 1983. "The market for corporate control : The scientific evidence," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(1-4), pages 5-50, April.
- Titman, Sheridan & Wessels, Roberto, 1988. " The Determinants of Capital Structure Choice," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(1), pages 1-19, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dug:journl:y:2012:i:1:p:57-65. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Nuta)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.