Les performances opérationnelles à long terme des entreprises françaises émettrices d’actions
(VF)Cette étude se propose d’analyser les performances opérationnelles d’un échantillon de 108 augmentations de capital réalisées en France. Les résultats obtenus montrent que les performances opérationnelles connaissent une hausse avant l’émission d’actions suivie d’une baisse significative comme sur les marchés américain, anglais et japonais. L’analyse des déterminants de la performance à long terme des entreprises émettrices ne corrobore pas l’hypothèse des free cash flows. En revanche, la dégradation de la performance semble être expliquée par l’hypothèse du timing.(VA)We examine the long-run operating performance of 108 French companies issuing stock. Our results suggest that issuing firms experience substantial improvements in operating performance prior to the offering, while the tendency is reversed after the offering has taken place. This confirms the results obtained in US, UK and Japanese studies. We find no relation between the pre-issue level of free cash flow and the subsequent decline in profitability. Hence, the results from the French SEO market offer evidence consistent with the ‘window of opportunity’ hypothesis for explaining the downward drift following a seasoned offering.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jean-François Gajewski & Edith Ginglinger, 2002.
"Seasoned Equity Issues in a Closely Held Market: Evidence from France,"
Review of Finance,
European Finance Association, vol. 6(3), pages 291-319.
- Edith Ginglinger & Jean-François Gajewski, 2002. "Seasoned equity issues in a closely held market: evidence from France," Post-Print halshs-00138293, HAL.
- Edith Ginglinger & Jean-François Gajewski, 2002. "Seasoned Equity Issues in a Closely Held Market: Evidence from France," Post-Print halshs-00162420, HAL.
- Miller, Merton H & Rock, Kevin, 1985. " Dividend Policy under Asymmetric Information," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 40(4), pages 1031-1051, September.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicolás S., 1945-, 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Working papers 1523-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Stewart C. Myers & Nicholas S. Majluf, 1984. "Corporate Financing and Investment Decisions When Firms Have InformationThat Investors Do Not Have," NBER Working Papers 1396, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Myers, Stewart C. & Majluf, Nicholas S., 1984. "Corporate financing and investment decisions when firms have information that investors do not have," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 187-221, June.
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R, 1995. " The New Issues Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 50(1), pages 23-51, March.
- Jun Cai, 1998. "The long-run performance following Japanese rights issues," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 8(4), pages 419-434.
- Kang, Jun-Koo & Kim, Yong-Cheol & Stulz, Rene M, 1999. "The Underreaction Hypothesis and the New Issue Puzzle: Evidence from Japan," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 12(3), pages 519-534.
- Jun-Koo Kang & Yong-Cheol Kim & Rene M. Stulz, 1996. "The Underreaction Hypothesis and the New Issue Puzzle: Evidence from Japan," NBER Working Papers 5819, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Barber, Brad M. & Lyon, John D., 1996. "Detecting abnormal operating performance: The empirical power and specification of test statistics," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(3), pages 359-399, July.
- Teoh, Siew Hong & Welch, Ivo & Wong, T. J., 1998. "Earnings management and the underperformance of seasoned equity offerings," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 63-99, October.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/6658 is not listed on IDEAS
- Loughran, Tim & Ritter, Jay R, 1997. " The Operating Performance of Firms Conducting Seasoned Equity Offerings," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(5), pages 1823-1850, December.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1984. "Capital structure puzzle," Working papers 1548-84., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- repec:dau:papers:123456789/1949 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-329, May.
- Myers, Stewart C, 1984. " The Capital Structure Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(3), pages 575-592, July.
- Robyn McLaughlin & Assem Safieddine & Gopala K. Vasudevan, 1996. "The Operating Performance of Seasoned Equity Issuers: Free Cash Flow and Post-Issue Performance," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 25(4), Winter.
- Stewart C. Myers, 1984. "Capital Structure Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 1393, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Phillippe Desbrières & Alain Schatt, 2002. "The Impacts of LBOs on the Performance of Acquired Firms: The French Case," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 29(5&6), pages 695-729.
- Philippe Desbrières & Alain Schatt, 2002. "The Impacts of LBOs on the Performance of Acquired Firms:the French Case," Working Papers CREGO 1020702, Université de Bourgogne - CREGO EA7317 Centre de recherches en gestion des organisations.
- Ritter, Jay R., 2003. "Investment banking and securities issuance," Handbook of the Economics of Finance,in: G.M. Constantinides & M. Harris & R. M. Stulz (ed.), Handbook of the Economics of Finance, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 5, pages 255-306 Elsevier.
- repec:bla:joares:v:20:y:1982:i:2:p:639-653 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:dij:revfcs:v:8:y:2005:i:q2:p:207-231. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gérard Charreaux)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.