Exploiting Infinite Variance Through Dummy Variables In Nonstationary Autoregressions
We consider estimation and testing infinite-order autoregressive models with a (near) unit root and infinite-variance innovations. We study the asymptotic properties of estimators obtained by dummying out ?large?innovations, i.e., exceeding a given threshold. These estimators reflect the common practice of dealing with large residuals by including impulse dummies in the estimated regression. Iterative versions of the dummy-variable estimator are also discussed. We provide conditions on the preliminary parameter estimator and on the threshold which ensure that (i) the dummy-based estimator is consistent at higher rates than the OLS estimator, (ii) an asymptotically normal test statistic for the unit root hypothesis can be derived, and (iii) order of magnitude gains of local power are obtained.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
Volume (Year): 29 (2013)
Issue (Month): 06 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECT
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Søren Johansen & Bent Nielsen, 2011.
"Asymptotic theory for iterated one-step Huber-skip estimators,"
CREATES Research Papers
2011-40, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Søren Johansen & Bent Nielsen, 2011. "Asymptotic theory for iterated one-step Huber-skip estimators," Discussion Papers 11-29, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe & Georgiev, Iliyan, 2009. "Robust Inference In Autoregressions With Multiple Outliers," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(06), pages 1625-1661, December.
- David Hendry & Søren Johansen & Carlos Santos, 2008.
"Automatic selection of indicators in a fully saturated regression,"
Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 337-339, April.
- Carlos Santos & David Hendry & Soren Johansen, 2008. "Automatic selection of indicators in a fully saturated regression," Computational Statistics, Springer, vol. 23(2), pages 317-335, April.
- Eric Engler & Bent Nielsen, 2007.
"The empirical process of autoregressive residuals,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2007-W01, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Resnick, Sidney & Greenwood, Priscilla, 1979. "A bivariate stable characterization and domains of attraction," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 206-221, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cup:etheor:v:29:y:2013:i:06:p:1162-1195_00. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Waters)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.