Fixed-B Asymptotics For The Studentized Mean From Time Series With Short, Long, Or Negative Memory
This paper considers the problem of variance estimation for the sample mean in the context of long memory and negative memory time series dynamics, adopting the fixed-bandwidth approach now popular in the econometrics literature. The distribution theory generalizes the short memory results of Kiefer and Vogelsang (2005, Econometric Theory 21, 1130–1164). In particular, our results highlight the dependence on the kernel (we include flat-top kernels), whether or not the kernel is nonzero at the boundary, and, most important, whether or not the process is short memory. Simulation studies support the importance of accounting for memory in the construction of confidence intervals for the mean.
Volume (Year): 28 (2012)
Issue (Month): 02 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Cambridge University Press, UPH, Shaftesbury Road, Cambridge CB2 8BS UK|
Web page: http://journals.cambridge.org/jid_ECT
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Vogelsang, Timothy J., 2005.
"A New Asymptotic Theory For Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Tests,"
Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(06), pages 1130-1164, December.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Vogelsang, Timothy J., 2005. "A New Asymptotic Theory for Heteroskedasticity-Autocorrelation Robust Tests," Working Papers 05-08, Cornell University, Center for Analytic Economics.
- Nicholas M. Kiefer & Timothy J. Vogelsang & Helle Bunzel, 2000. "Simple Robust Testing of Regression Hypotheses," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(3), pages 695-714, May.
- Kiefer, Nicholas M. & Bunzel, Helle & Vogelsang, Timothy & Vogelsang, Timothy & Bunzel, Helle, 2000. "Simple Robust Testing of Regression Hypotheses," Staff General Research Papers Archive 1832, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Hurvich, Clifford M., 2002. "Multistep forecasting of long memory series using fractional exponential models," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 167-179. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)