Chapter 3: Austerity: Hurting but Helping
Chapter 3 analyses the much debated issue of austerity and highlights that fiscal discipline is not only needed to ensure the long-term sustainability of public debt, but also for external rebalancing, which is vital to the long-term sustainability of the euro. Finally,
Volume (Year): (2014)
Issue (Month): (02)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Poschingerstrasse 5, 81679 Munich|
Phone: +49 (89) 9224-0
Fax: +49 (89) 985369
Web page: http://www.cesifo-group.de
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Leigh & Andrea Pescatori & Jaime Guajardo, 2011. "Expansionary Austerity New International Evidence," IMF Working Papers 11/158, International Monetary Fund.
- Lawrence J. Christiano & Martin Eichenbaum & Sergio Rebelo, 2010.
"When is the government spending multiplier large?,"
FRB Atlanta CQER Working Paper
2010-01, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Daniel Kanda, 2011. "Modeling Optimal Fiscal Consolidation Paths in a Selection of European Countries," IMF Working Papers 11/164, International Monetary Fund.
- Alberto Alesina & Carlo Favero & Francesco Giavazzi, 2013.
"The output effect of fiscal consolidations,"
478, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Alesina, Alberto F & Favero, Carlo A. & Giavazzi, Francesco, 2012. "The output effect of fiscal consolidations," CEPR Discussion Papers 9105, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alberto Alesina & Carlo Favero & Francesco Giavazzi, 2012. "The Output Effect of Fiscal Consolidations," NBER Working Papers 18336, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Alesina & Carlo Ambrogio Favero & Francesco Giavazzi, 2012. "The output effect of fiscal consolidations," Working Papers 450, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Ran Bi & Haonan Qu & James Roaf, 2013. "Assessing the Impact and Phasing of Multi-year Fiscal Adjustment; A General Framework," IMF Working Papers 13/182, International Monetary Fund.
- Valerie A. Ramey, 2011. "Can Government Purchases Stimulate the Economy?," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 49(3), pages 673-85, September.
- Òscar Jordà & Alan M. Taylor, 2013.
"The Time for Austerity: Estimating the Average Treatment Effect of Fiscal Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
19414, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Òscar Jordà & Alan M. Taylor, 2013. "The time for austerity: estimating the average treatment effect of fiscal policy," Working Paper Series 2013-25, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Jordà, Òscar & Taylor, Alan M., 2014. "The time for austerity: Estimating the average treatment effect of fiscal policy," SAFE Working Paper Series 79, Research Center SAFE - Sustainable Architecture for Finance in Europe, Goethe University Frankfurt.
- Jordà, Òscar & Taylor, Alan M., 2013. "The Time for Austerity: Estimating the Average Treatment Effect of Fiscal Policy," CEPR Discussion Papers 9646, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Alan J. Auerbach & Yuriy Gorodnichenko, 2012.
"Fiscal Multipliers in Recession and Expansion,"
in: Fiscal Policy after the Financial Crisis, pages 63-98
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Riera-Crichton, Daniel & Vegh, Carlos A. & Vuletin, Guillermo, 2016.
"Tax multipliers: Pitfalls in measurement and identification,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(C), pages 30-48.
- Daniel Riera-Crichton & Carlos A. Vegh & Guillermo Vuletin, 2012. "Tax Multipliers: Pitfalls in Measurement and Identification," NBER Working Papers 18497, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Bluedorn & Daniel Leigh, 2011. "Revisiting the Twin Deficits Hypothesis: The Effect of Fiscal Consolidation on the Current Account," IMF Economic Review, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 59(4), pages 582-602, November.
- Michael Graff & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2010.
"The Information Content of Capacity Utilisation Rates for Output Gap Estimates,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3276, CESifo Group Munich.
- Michael Graff & Jan-Egbert Sturm, 2010. "The Information Content of Capacity Utilization Rates for Output Gap Estimates," KOF Working papers 10-269, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ces:eeagre:v::y:2014:i::p:75-90. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Klaus Wohlrabe)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.