Lessons in Harmony: What Experience in the Atlantic Provinces Shows About the Benefits of a Harmonized Sales Tax
Provincial retail sales taxes are remarkably high on business inputs, including purchases of capital goods that spur growth in productivity and employment. Evidence from Eastern provinces with a Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) suggests that harmonizing provincial sales taxes with the federal GST would eliminate most of this distortion, without leading to an increase in consumer prices.
Volume (Year): (2007)
Issue (Month): 253 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 67 Yonge St., Suite 300, Toronto, Ontario M5E 1J8|
Phone: (416) 865-1904
Fax: (416) 865-1866
Web page: http://www.cdhowe.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bird,Richard & Gendron,Pierre-Pascal, 2007.
"The VAT in Developing and Transitional Countries,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521877657, November.
- Bird, Richard M. & Mintz, Jack M. & Wilson, Thomas A., 2006.
"Coordinating Federal and Provincial Sales Taxes: Lessons from the Canadian Experience,"
National Tax Journal,
National Tax Association, vol. 59(4), pages 889-903, December.
- Richard M. Bird & Jack M. Mintz & Thomas A. Wilson, 2006. "Coordinating Federal and Provincial Sales Taxes: Lessons from the Canadian Experience," International Tax Program Papers 0607, International Tax Program, Institute for International Business, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto.
- John Piggott & John Whalley, 1998.
"VAT Base Broadening, Self Supply, and The Informal Sector,"
NBER Working Papers
6349, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Piggott & John Whalley, 2001. "VAT Base Broadening, Self Supply, and the Informal Sector," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 1084-1094, September.
- David Murrell & Weiqiu Yu, 2000. "The Effect of the Harmonized Sales Tax on Consumer Prices in Atlantic Canada," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 26(4), pages 451-460, December.
- Patrick Blagrave, 2005. "An Analysis of the Impact of the Harmonized Sales Tax on Provincial Revenues in Atlantic Canada," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 31(3), pages 319-332, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cdh:commen:253. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kristine Gray)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.