On the Incidence of the Manufacturers' Sales Tax and the Goods and Services Tax
In April 1989, the federal Minister of Finance announced plans to implement the Goods and Services Tax (GST), an invoice- based value-added tax, as a replacement for the present Manufacturers' Sales Tax (MST). One of the stated reasons for this change was the concern about the regressivity of the MST. The purpose of this paper is to investigate the distributional effects of replacing the MST with the GST. Baum's Relative Share Adjustment (RSA) is used to estimate the incidence of the MST, a broad-based VAT and the GST, assuming 1986 revenue and consumption patterns. The results show that the VAT and, to a lesser extent, the GST are more regressive than the MST. This distributional shortcoming of the GST can be corrected through a low income credit financed either by a high income surtax or a higher GST rate.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 16 (1990)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.utpjournals.com/cpp/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Davies, James B & St-Hilaire, France & Whalley, John, 1984. "Some Calculations of Lifetime Tax Incidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 633-49, September.
- Browning, Edgar K, 1978. "The Burden of Taxation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(4), pages 649-71, August.
- Suits, Daniel B, 1977. "Measurement of Tax Progressivity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 747-52, September.
- John Whalley, 1984. "Regression or Progression: The Taxing Question of Incidence Analysis," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 17(4), pages 654-82, November.
- Chun-Yan Kuo & Thomas Mcgirr & Satya Poddar, 1988. "Measuring the Non-Neutralities of Sales and Excise Taxes in Canada," Development Discussion Papers 1988-08, JDI Executive Programs.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpp:issued:v:16:y:1990:i:4:p:359-373. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.