On the Incidence of the Manufacturers' Sales Tax and the Goods and Services Tax
In April 1989, the federal Minister of Finance announced plans to implement the Goods and Services Tax (GST), an invoice- based value-added tax, as a replacement for the present Manufacturers' Sales Tax (MST). One of the stated reasons for this change was the concern about the regressivity of the MST. The purpose of this paper is to investigate the distributional effects of replacing the MST with the GST. Baum's Relative Share Adjustment (RSA) is used to estimate the incidence of the MST, a broad-based VAT and the GST, assuming 1986 revenue and consumption patterns. The results show that the VAT and, to a lesser extent, the GST are more regressive than the MST. This distributional shortcoming of the GST can be corrected through a low income credit financed either by a high income surtax or a higher GST rate.
Volume (Year): 16 (1990)
Issue (Month): 4 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: University of Toronto Press Journals Division 5201 Dufferin Street Toronto, Ontario, Canada M3H 5T8|
Web page: http://economics.ca/cpp/
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.utpjournals.com/cpp/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Suits, Daniel B, 1977. "Measurement of Tax Progressivity," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 67(4), pages 747-752, September.
- Chun-Yan Kuo & Thomas Mcgirr & Satya Poddar, 1988. "Measuring the Non-Neutralities of Sales and Excise Taxes in Canada," Development Discussion Papers 1988-08, JDI Executive Programs.
- Browning, Edgar K, 1978. "The Burden of Taxation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 86(4), pages 649-671, August.
- John Whalley, 1984. "Regression or Progression: The Taxing Question of Incidence Analysis," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 17(4), pages 654-682, November.
- Atkinson, Anthony B., 1970. "On the measurement of inequality," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 2(3), pages 244-263, September.
- Davies, James B & St-Hilaire, France & Whalley, John, 1984. "Some Calculations of Lifetime Tax Incidence," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(4), pages 633-649, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cpp:issued:v:16:y:1990:i:4:p:359-373. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Prof. Werner Antweiler)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.