Inégalité de patrimoine et progressivité de l'impôt
This paper studies the impact of the progressivity of income and inheritance tax on wealth inequality in France. By switching to a proportional tax system for each type of tax, we find that income-tax progressivity is more effective than inheritance-tax progressivity in reducing wealth inequality. Income-tax progressivity reduces income risk. The precautionary saving of the wealthiest agents decreases and wealth inequality narrows. Inheritance-tax progressivity does not modify income risk significantly. We also show that inheritance-tax progressivity – unlike income-tax progressivity – is inefficient for reducing income inequality.
Volume (Year): n° 193 (2010)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.cairn.info/revue-economie-et-prevision.htm|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David Domeij & Jonathan Heathcote, 2004. "On The Distributional Effects Of Reducing Capital Taxes," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 45(2), pages 523-554, 05.
- Gustavo Ventura, "undated".
"Flat Tax Reform: A Quantitative Exploration,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 1997
172, Society for Computational Economics.
- Gouveia, Miguel & Strauss, Robert P., 1994. "Effective Federal Individual Tax Functions: An Exploratory Empirical Analysis," National Tax Journal, National Tax Association, vol. 47(2), pages 317-339, June.
- Gourinchas, Pierre-Olivier & Parker, Jonathan A, 2001.
"The Empirical Importance of Precautionary Saving,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2737, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Arrondel, Luc & Laferrere, Anne, 2001.
"Taxation and wealth transmission in France,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 79(1), pages 3-33, January.
- Jean-Olivier Hairault & François Langot, 2008.
"Inequality and Social Security Reforms,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Jean-Olivier Hairault & François Langot, 2008. "Inequality and Social Security Reforms," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00754304, HAL.
- S. Rao Aiyagari, 1993.
"Uninsured idiosyncratic risk and aggregate saving,"
502, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Huggett, Mark, 1996. "Wealth distribution in life-cycle economies," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(3), pages 469-494, December.
- Tauchen, George & Hussey, Robert, 1991. "Quadrature-Based Methods for Obtaining Approximate Solutions to Nonlinear Asset Pricing Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 371-396, March.
- Conesa, Juan Carlos & Krueger, Dirk, 2006.
"On the optimal progressivity of the income tax code,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 53(7), pages 1425-1450, October.
- Juan Carlos Conesa & Dirk Krueger, 2002. "On the Optimal Progressivity of the Income Tax Code," Centro de Altisimos Estudios Rios Pe©rez(CAERP) 4, Centro de Altisimos Estudios Rios Perez (CAERP).
- Conesa, Juan Carlos & Krueger, Dirk, 2005. "On the Optimal Progressivity of the Income Tax Code," CEPR Discussion Papers 5040, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Conesa, Juan Carlos & Krueger, Dirk, 2005. "On the optimal progressivity of the income tax code," CFS Working Paper Series 2005/10, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Juan Carlos Conesa & Dirk Krueger, 2004. "On the Optimal Progressivity of the Income Tax Code," Working Papers 131, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Juan Carlos Conesa & Dirk Krueger, 2005. "On the Optimal Progressivity of the Income Tax Code," NBER Working Papers 11044, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kotlikoff, Laurence J & Summers, Lawrence H, 1981.
"The Role of Intergenerational Transfers in Aggregate Capital Accumulation,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(4), pages 706-732, August.
- Laurence J. Kotlikoff & Lawrence H. Summers, 1980. "The Role of Intergenerational Transfers in Aggregate Capital Accumulation," NBER Working Papers 0445, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James B. Davies, 1982. "The Relative Impact of Inheritance and Other Factors on Economic Inequality," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 97(3), pages 471-498.
- Charles Grant & Christos Koulovatianos & Alexander Michaelides & Mario Padula, 2003.
"Redistributive Policies through Taxation: Theory and Evidence,"
CSEF Working Papers
100, Centre for Studies in Economics and Finance (CSEF), University of Naples, Italy.
- Charles GRANT & Christos KOULOVATIANOS & Alexander MICHAELIDES & Mario PADULA, 2003. "Redistributive Policies through Taxation: Theory and Evidence," Economics Working Papers ECO2003/13, European University Institute.
- Modigliani, Franco, 1988. "The Role of Intergenerational Transfers and Life Cycle Saving in the Accumulation of Wealth," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 2(2), pages 15-40, Spring.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2006:i:82:p:07 is not listed on IDEAS
- John Laitner, 2001. "Wealth Accumulation in the U.S.: Do Inheritances and Bequests Play a Significant Role?," Working Papers wp019, University of Michigan, Michigan Retirement Research Center.
- Kessler, Denis & Wolff, Edward N, 1991. "A Comparative Analysis of Household Wealth Patterns in France and the United States," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 37(3), pages 249-266, September.
- Luc Arrondel, 2006. "Transmission du patrimoine et impôt successoral," Post-Print halshs-00754636, HAL.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2005:i:78:p:03 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jean-Olivier Hairault & François Langot, 2002. "Inégalités et réformes des retraites," Revue Française d'Économie, Programme National Persée, vol. 17(1), pages 97-159.
- Alexis Direr & Thomas Weitzenblum, 2006.
"Modéliser la distribution des richesses en France,"
Annals of Economics and Statistics,
GENES, issue 82, pages 151-186.
- Luc Arrondel & Anne Laferrère, 1991. "Successions et héritiers à travers les données fiscales," Économie et Prévision, Programme National Persée, vol. 100(4), pages 137-159.
- Stéfan Lollivier & Daniel Verger, 1996. "Patrimoine des ménages : déterminants et disparités," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 296(1), pages 13-31.
- Varian, Hal R., 1980. "Redistributive taxation as social insurance," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 49-68, August.
- repec:hal:journl:halshs-00270290 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:cai:ecoldc:ecop_193_0021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jean-Baptiste de Vathaire)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.