Nonparametric Testing for Linearity in Cointegrated Error-Correction Models
The principal objective of this study is to explore nonparametric testing for linearity in the long-run relationship of the cointegrated vector error-correction model. We develop nonparametric tests, which are predicated on general nonlinear specification, and thus nonlinear models such as the smooth transition and threshold cointegration models are contained in our specification. The test statistics can be computed using the null model of standard error correction. The asymptotic distribution of the test statistics is based on the standard distribution, and thus the proposed tests do not involve semiparametric treatment for the resolution of inferential difficulty. The alternative distribution of the test statistics is explored under the local drift and the smooth functional form. The Monte Carlo simulation shows that the proposed tests evidence adequate finite sample performance in detecting omitted nonlinearity. An economic application to the stock price-dividend relation is also provided.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 15 (2011)
Issue (Month): 2 (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/snde|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- T. S. Breusch & A. R. Pagan, 1980.
"The Lagrange Multiplier Test and its Applications to Model Specification in Econometrics,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Oxford University Press, vol. 47(1), pages 239-253.
- Breusch, T.S. & Pagan, A.R., . "The Lagrange multiplier test and its applications to model specification in econometrics," CORE Discussion Papers RP 412, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Peter C.B. Phillips, 1987.
"Weak Convergence of Sample Covariance Matrices to Stochastic Integrals via Martingale Approximations,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
846, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Phillips, P.C.B., 1988. "Weak Convergence of Sample Covariance Matrices to Stochastic Integrals Via Martingale Approximations," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 4(03), pages 528-533, December.
- Bierens, Herman J, 1990.
"A Consistent Conditional Moment Test of Functional Form,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1443-58, November.
- Bierens, H.J., 1989. "A consistent conditional moment test of functional form," Serie Research Memoranda 0064, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Neftci, Salih N, 1984. "Are Economic Time Series Asymmetric over the Business Cycle?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 92(2), pages 307-328, April.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:sndecm:v:15:y:2011:i:2:n:6. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.