The J2 Status of "Chaos" in Period Macroeconomic Models
We reconsider the issue of the (non-)equivalence of period and continuous time analysis in macroeconomic theory and its implications for the existence of chaotic dynamics in empirical macroeconomics. We start from the methodological precept that period and continuous time representations of the same macrostructure should give rise to the same qualitative outcome, i.e. in particular, that the results of period analysis should not depend on the length of the period chosen. A simple example where this is fulfilled is given by the Solow growth model, while all chaotic dynamics in period models of dimension less than 3 are in conflict with this precept. We discuss a typical example from the recent literature, where chaos results from an asymptotically stable continuous-time macroeconomic model when it is reformulated as a discrete-time model with a sufficiently long period length.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 13 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/snde|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Foley, Duncan K, 1975. "On Two Specifications of Asset Equilibrium in Macroeconomic Models," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(2), pages 303-24, April.
- Medio, Alfredo, 1991. "Continuous-time models of chaos in economics," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 16(1-2), pages 115-151, July.
- Peter Flaschel & Reiner Franke & Christian Proano, 2008. "On the Determinacy of New Keynesian Models with Staggered Wage and Price Setting," IMK Working Paper 11-2008, IMK at the Hans Boeckler Foundation, Macroeconomic Policy Institute.
- Invernizzi, Sergio & Medio, Alfredo, 1991. "On lags and chaos in economic dynamic models," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 521-550.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521484619 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:sndecm:v:13:y:2009:i:2:n:2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.