Search Costs in Identity-Preserved Agricultural Markets
Many industries have "match-maker" institutions that help agents make links to one another by reducing search costs. Such institutions are now emerging in niche farm and food markets. In this study I provide an explanation for such institutions with a theoretical model of a niche market channel involving a small producer, retailer, and variety-loving consumer. I focus on the process by which producers are connected to retailers, and show that search costs between producers and retailers can be an important fixed cost of entry. Reduced search costs result in a larger number of matches, and facilitate the growth of niche market channels selling on the basis of producer identity. I examine the role of consumer preferences, retailer bargaining power, and other key features of these markets.
Volume (Year): 6 (2008)
Issue (Month): 1 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.degruyter.com|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.degruyter.com/view/j/jafio|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ziesemer Thomas, 2001.
"ICT as Technical Change in the Matching and Production Functions of a Pissarides-Dixit-Stiglitz model,"
024, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Thomas Ziesemer, 2003. "Information and Communication Technology as Technical Change in Matching and Production," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 79(3), pages 263-287, 07.
- Ziesemer Thomas, 2002. "ICT as Technical Change in the Matching and Production Functions of a Pissarides-Dixit-Stiglitz model," Research Memorandum 022, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- B. Wade Brorsen & Jean-Paul Chavas & Warren R. Grant & L. D. Schnake, 1985. "Marketing Margins and Price Uncertainty: The Case of the U.S. Wheat Market," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 67(3), pages 521-528.
- Jeffrey J. Reimer, 2006. "Vertical Integration in the Pork Industry," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), pages 234-248.
- Beath,John & Katsoulacos,Yannis, 1991.
"The Economic Theory of Product Differentiation,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521335263, December.
- Rachael E. Goodhue, 1999. "Input Control in Agricultural Production Contracts," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 81(3), pages 616-620.
- repec:dgr:umamer:2001024 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:dgr:umamer:2002022 is not listed on IDEAS
- Christopher A. Pissarides, 2000. "Equilibrium Unemployment Theory, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262161877, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:bpj:bjafio:v:6:y:2008:i:1:n:8. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Golla)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.