Transparency And Disclosure In European Corporate Governance Codes – Does Issuer Matter?
The purpose of our paper is to analyze corporate governance codes, currently in force in the European Union member states, in terms of disclosure and transparency compliance with the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development requirements and recommendations by reference to various features related to codes’ issuers and other particular characteristics. The research methodology used for achieving our goal is based on econometric analysis using various statistical tools (descriptive statistic, correlations and regressions).The results of the performed analysis are consistent with prior research findings, revealing that the level of provisions related to disclosure and transparency stipulated in corporate governance codes are influenced by their issuer’ s type and diversity. Moreover, we identified other features of a code such as their length, a separate chapter dealing with disclosure and transparency and its length, or the frequency of using these words and their definition, whose influence proved to be the same.
Volume (Year): 6 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 (April)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Lucian Blaga University of Sibiu, Faculty of Economic Sciences Dumbravii Avenue, No 17, postal code 550324, Sibiu, Romania|
Phone: 004 0269 210375
Fax: 004 0269 210375
Web page: http://economice.ulbsibiu.ro/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chris Mallin, 2004. "Review of International Corporate Governance Conference held at the Birmingham Business School, July 2002," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(1), pages 1-2, 01.
- Tarun Khanna & Joe Kogan & Krishna Palepu, 2006. "Globalization and Similarities in Corporate Governance: A Cross-Country Analysis," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(1), pages 69-90, February.
- Martynova, M. & Renneboog, L.D.R., 2010. "A Corporate Governance Index : Convergence and Diversity of National Corporate Governance Regulations," Discussion Paper 2010-17, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Mathias Siems, 2007. "Shareholder Protection around the World ("Leximetric II")," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp359, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Niels Hermes & Theo J.B.M. Postma & Orestis Zivkov, 2006. "Corporate governance codes in the European Union: Are they driven by external or domestic forces?," International Journal of Managerial Finance, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 2(4), pages 280-301, September.
- Alessandro Zattoni & Francesca Cuomo, 2008. "Why Adopt Codes of Good Governance? A Comparison of Institutional and Efficiency Perspectives," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 16(1), pages 1-15, 01.
- Priya P. Lele & Mathias M. Siems, 2007.
"Shareholder Protection: A Leximetric Approach,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2006
170, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Mathias Siems & Priya Lele, 2006. "Shareholder Protection: A Leximetric Approach," ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers wp324, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:blg:journl:v:6:y:2011:i:1:p:94-108. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mihaela Herciu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.