Recent Regional Agreements: Why So Many, Why So Much Variance in Form, Why Coming So Fast, and Where Are They Headed?
Recent years have seen a sharp growth in the number of regional agreements both concluded and under negotiation. This paper attempts to document and discuss this growth focusing on US, EU, Chinese, Indian and other agreements. The form, coverage and content of these agreements vary considerably from case to case. The paper asks why so many, why the variation in form, and why the recent acceleration. Implications for the trading system are discussed in a final section. Copyright 2008 The Author.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 31 (2008)
Issue (Month): 4 (04)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0378-5920|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/subs.asp?ref=0378-5920|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Agata Antkiewicz & John Whalley, 2006.
"BRICSAM and the non–WTO,"
The Review of International Organizations,
Springer, vol. 1(3), pages 237-261, September.
- Agata Antkiewicz & John Whalley, 2005. "BRICSAM and the Non-WTO," CESifo Working Paper Series 1498, CESifo Group Munich.
- Agata Antkiewicz & John Whalley, 2005. "China's New Regional Trade Agreements," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(10), pages 1539-1557, October.
- Agata Antkiewicz & John Whalley, 2004. "China's New Regional Trade Agreements," NBER Working Papers 10992, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Whalley, John & Antkiewicz, Agata, 2004. "China's New Regional Trade Agreements," Working Papers 24155, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- O G Dayaratna Banda & John Whalley, 2005. "Beyond Goods and Services: Competition Policy, Investment, Mutual Recognition, Movement of Persons, and Broader Cooperation Provisions of Recent FTAs involving ASEAN Countries," NBER Working Papers 11232, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dayaratna, Banda O.G. & Whalley, John, 2005. "Beyond Goods and Services: Competition Policy, Investment, Mutual Recognition, Movement of Persons, and Broader Cooperation Provisions of Recent FTAs Involving ASEAN Countries," Working Papers 24153, Canadian Agricultural Trade Policy Research Network.
- Crawford, Jo-Ann & Fiorentino, Roberto V., 2005. "The changing landscape of regional trade agreements," WTO Discussion Papers 8, World Trade Organization (WTO), Economic Research and Statistics Division. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)